A good handheld shower head is a great addition to your bathroom because it gives you flexibility when it comes to getting a great shower.
Since you can hold the shower head in your hand, it is the perfect choice for tall people, older people, parents who want to help children, and people who just want to be able to reach every inch of their body with the water stream. This is especially beneficial when it comes to rinsing shampoo and conditioner out of long hair in the shower.
With a hand held shower head, you can easily direct the water stream where you want it go by holding it in your hand. Or, you can leave it in the mount, where it functions just like a standard fixed wall mount showerhead.
Top 10 Handheld Shower Heads in 2017 - 2018
As you can see above, there are a lot of great handheld options for you to choose from. In fact, we had to go a bit over the top 10 just to include all of our favorites! The great thing about this type of shower head is that it makes it easy to bath young children. Plus, the flexibility of a handheld showerhead is good for older people or those with some mobility issues. Since you can move the shower head nozzle and direct it anywhere you want on your body, it means that you don’t have to turn or move around in the shower stall, which means there is a lower change of slipping and getting hurt.
Do You Need A Handheld Shower Head?
If you’re shopping for a new shower head, then you might be wondering if you really need a handheld model. Well, in case you’re not familiar with the design, the shower head piece is designed so that you can either hold it in your hand or leave it in the fixed wall mount. So, you don’t always have to use with by holding it.
Most people find that the flexibility of a hand held showerhead is perfect for them. It is connected to the water with a long hose that allows you to move it around the shower and reach all those hard-to-reach areas without having to actually twist and turn around. For this reason, they are also great to have in the bathroom where you wash your dog.
Overall, these are a good addition to any home bathroom since they give you the flexibility of handheld with the familiarity of a fixed wall mount shower.
Benefits of Hand Held Showerheads
Still on the fence when it comes to deciding if you to use this type of shower head in your family bathroom? Here’s a quick look at the advantages of this model below. Check them out and see if it makes sense for your home.
- It’s the best way to wash your pets – Most pets do not enjoy bath time, and being able to bring the shower head nozzle right down to their level like this makes the process easier.
- Good for older people – since older people can have mobility and balance issues, this type of shower head is perfect since it eliminates the need to move around or turn around in the shower. That means less opportunity for a dangerous fall!
- Gets those hard-to-reach places – no more struggling to get the shower water to hit all those dirty and soapy areas that are hard to access. With a handheld, you just aim the water where you want it to go.
- Good for children – Kids often don’t like showers because they don’t like water in their eyes and because by the time the warm water travels all the way down to their little body, it is already cold. With a handheld, you can make sure they get warm bath water and you can control the stream to keep it out of their eyes.
- Flexibility keeps everyone happy – this type of shower head gives you the best of both worlds – you don’t have to decided between fixed mount or unfixed cause it can do both!
- Easy on sensitive skin – whether you have a sunburn or don’t like the feel of a strong jet of water, a handheld unit lets you shower in comfort by giving you the ultimate control over the shower water.
- Works well if you have low water pressure – if your home has low water pressure, then a handheld showerhead lets you keep the water close to your body, which gives you a similar effect of high water pressure, just like you want.
- Shower cleaning is easy – cleaning your shower can be tedious, but a handheld shower head makes that process easier since you can aim the water in all of the dirty parts of the shower.
- Low price – unlike some other specialty shower heads, a handheld unit is normally very cheap, which means that you can get some luxury comfort in the shower at a very affordable cost.
How To Shop For The Best Handheld Shower Head
Before you start shopping for your new shower head, it is important to know what to look for in the available models. As you may expect, there are a lot of handheld showerheads on the market, and some have more features and accessories included than others. This brief shopping guide will help you make the best decision when comparing the top rated handheld shower heads for the money.
- Finish and style – as you can see in the products listed on this page, the styles for this type of product to vary a little. And most of the models are available in different finishes. This means that you can easily select one that matches the decor and fittings currently in your bathroom.
- Quality – it can be tempting to buy the $10 shower head that’s on special discount, but it might be a quality one that will last you more than a couple of months. We suggest using shower head reviews, like ours and those on Amazon, to ensure that you are buying something that will last you and your family for many years to come.
- Wall mounting and fit – before making a hasty purchase, take a good look at your current shower and the product you are considering purchasing. You need to make sure not only that it will actually fit in your shower, but that it comes with the mounting kit that you need to install it. Most do come with the kit, but it doesn’t hurt to confirm before buying.
- Head size – sizes of the actually shower head can range from small to large, so be sure that you are buying something that gives you the water coverage that you desire. Some even come with dual shower heads, for that extra coverage.
- Hose length – don’t underestimate the length of the hose that you’ll need. For most people, this probably isn’t a big deal, but if you plan on using it for pets or kids, then you want to ensure that it is long enough to reach them.
Our Top Handheld Shower Head Reviews for 2017 – 2018
After reading why you might want this type of shower head in your home, let me help you to find the perfect hand held model for your family’s bathroom. As you might imagine, there are lots of different brands and models out there, but some of them are definitely better quality than others. Since we don’t want you to waste your hard earned cash on something that you will regret, please use our reviews below to find the best handheld shower head for the money this year. You will end up with what we consider to be a high quality hand held showerhead at a great price and everyone in your family likely gets a better shower experience.
If you are just looking for a simple handheld for the shower, without a lot of fancy features, then this Moen shower head makes a great choice for your bathroom. It looks great, it functions well and it is a high quality component.
The shower head itself is made of metal and it has a nice weight to it – not too heavy, but with enough heaviness to feel good in your hands and like you got a really quality shower piece.
Another nice thing about it is that you can order it in four different finishes, which means that it can match any bathroom decor or color design. You can choose from the pictured chrome, white, nickel or bronze. And I just gotta say that the bronze looks really great if your bathroom has an antique or rustic decor going on.
The Moen 23015 Banbury Handheld Shower Head has five different function settings for you to choose from:
- relaxing massage
- energizing massage
- wide spray
- wide spray with energizing massage
- wide spray with relaxing massage
So, that is basically all the standard functions that you can hope for in a good handheld shower head right here in this low cost package.
Installing this thing is very easy, and keeping it clean is a breeze since it has self-cleaning nozzles. And yes, it does come with the shower arm bracket.
If you are interested in a luxury handheld shower head combo unit that also features a fixed overhead rainfall showerhead, then you have GOT to take a look at this showerpipe unit from Hansgrohe.
What you get with this one is an extra-large overhead rain showerhead that is fixed and a handheld raindance shower head. This gives you the optimal shower experience. And here’s the thing – you don’t have to use both shower heads at the same time, if you don’t want to. So, that is pretty cool.
This is really a luxury shower item, but I think it has an affordable price for what you get. If your budget is tight, I suggest at least looking at this one to see if it meets your needs or not – only you can decide if the price is affordable for your budget.
You can order this in either a chrome or brushed nickel finish, but here’s what you need to know – the brushed nickel one is usually higher priced than the chrome one at the different stores that I’ve shopped at. But, if you really like that one, you may be able to get a discount price for it, too, by shopping around.
Cleaning is super easy thanks to the QuickClean anti-calcification function. All you have do to is just rub away the limescale build up and it is clean again.
If you have kids, then you will appreciate that this showerpipe unit has a temperature safety lock feature that is set at 100F degrees.
Overall, the Hansgrohe 27160001 Raindance S Showerpipe is a very high quality luxury showerpipe and it looks great in home bathrooms. It is easy to install and easy to use.
This unit is a showerhead with a removable handheld shower head. What’s nice about this one is that if you want to leave it as one piece while you’re showering, then it functions as a large fixed wall mount shower head with a nice stream of water.
Or, you can use just the shower head or just the handheld piece. And women will really like the “pause” feature, which slows the water stream to just a trickle. This is PERFECT for shaving your legs in the shower. So, if you’ve been looking for the best shower head for shaving in the shower, then this is definitely it. You won’t find a better option.
Like most nice handheld shower heads, this unit is available in a few different finishes. The one in the photo is polished nickel. Other options are:
- Champagne Bronze
- Venetian Bronze
One important thing to note, is that while you can order this one is any color to match your bathroom decor, the prices vary by finish. As of today, the chrome finish is the cheapest with the Champagne Bronze and Venetian Bronze being the most expensive. That being said – if you shop around then you may be able to find all of them are discounted at one store or another online.
A really cool thing about this showerhead is that it features H2Okinetic technology, which means that less water is used while the stream still feels like a lot of water. It works by constructing the water stream into a unique wave pattern that makes it feel like more than it is. It is definitely a great shower experience.
If you are just looking for a good, cheap handheld shower head, then this model from the Niagara brand is a great choice for you. In fact, I think it is probably one of the cheapest handheld shower heads on the market right now. The value is amazing and you will be hard pressed to get a better value for your money – assuming that you just want something simple and functional.
For those who are cost-conscious or looking to be more eco friendly and use less water, this shower head only streams 2.0 gallons per minute, which is about 20% less than most handheld shower heads. That will lower your water consumption and lower your water bill costs.
This showerhead looks great and has a good ergonomic feel in your hand. The included hose is a very long 72-inches and the entire kit is easy to install. The 9-jet turbo massage has settings that range from a gentle streaming massage to a forceful one. Perfect after that long session in the gym or the stressful day of work. And, the nozzle is self-cleaning, which means no maintenance!
For a really great dual shower head option, consider this handheld + fixed rainfall shower head combo from DreamSpa.
This is actually the best selling handheld shower head online right now because it is high quality, has an affordable low price and performs well giving you a great shower experience. This combo unit is only available in a chrome finish, which looks very nice in any shower.
Like other combo units, you can choose to use both shower heads at the same time or just one at a time. The rainfall shower head is 7-inches in size and is fixed. The handheld part is a high pressure handheld shower head that has seven different settings for you to choose from. Those settings are:
- Power Rain
- Pulsating Massage
- Eco Rain
- Water-saving Pause
The hose itself is also stainless steel, which is important to note because some shower head kits feature a rubber or plastic hose. And installation for this thing, like the others listed above, is very easy.
For more information on buying a shower head, take a look at our buying guide.