Do you own a platform bed – a sleek, modern, space-saving bed for which you need a great, high-quality mattress?
If so, you cannot go wrong with a memory foam mattress. Designed to work very well with platform beds, a memory foam mattress can conform to the many curves of your body and provide a good night’s sleep that can’t be replicated with other mattress types.
To help you select the best memory foam mattress for your particular needs and preferences, below we have reviewed several of the most popular and best-selling memory foam mattresses currently on the market, and stressed the various advantages and drawbacks associated with each item.
We have also put together a Memory Foam Mattress Buying Guide as it applies to platform beds – a guide that highlights the myriad of factors and characteristics you should consider when shopping for one of these very comfortable mattresses.
- Memory Foam Mattress (For Platform Bed) Quick Comparison
- Zinius Sleep 12-inch Pressure Relief Mattress
- Perfect Cloud Atlas Gel-Plus 10-inch Memory Foam Mattress
- Brentwood Home Cypress Mattress
- Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best Memory Foam Mattress for a Platform Bed
Memory Foam Mattress (For Platform Bed) Quick Comparison
Last update on 2020-01-22 at 08:09 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-01-22 at 08:09 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
Zinius Sleep 12-inch Pressure Relief Mattress
Boasting some of the lowest VOC emissions in the industry, the Zinus Sleep 12-inch Pressure Relief Mattress features superior conforming memory foam that contours to every part and pressure point on your body, offering the finest in comfort and support for the best night’s sleep possible.
The mattress features three independent layers that effortlessly conjoin to create a one-of-a-kind mattress. The layers include 3 inches of dream-like memory foam; 3 inches of comfort foam that promises pressure relief; and 6 inches of high-density foam for the best in support and stability. Together, these 12 inches of foam can make any platform bed feel like sleeping on a cloud.
The foam on the Zinus Sleep 12-inch Pressure Relief Mattress is of the highest possible quality—CertiPur foam that has been U.S. certified for performance, durability and comfort. The memory foam layer on the mattress, known as BioFoam, is treated with natural plant oil rather than petroleum products, to keep the mattress forever fresh and inviting.
If you are looking for a long-lasting memory foam mattress for your platform bed, one that contours to every part of your body, the Zinus Sleep 12-inch Pressure Relief Mattress definitely has you covered.
- Budget friendly. If you are looking for a memory foam mattress for your platform bed that won’t bust your budget, the Zinius Sleep 12-inch Pressure Relief Mattress is the perfect choice.
- Great fit. The design of this memory foam mattress gives it a perfect fit on most platform beds.
- Firm. Those who sleep on their back or side will simply love the firmness and support of the Zinius Sleep 12-inch Pressure Relief Mattress.
- Not great for stomach sleepers. Those who sleep on their stomach, people who would typically enjoy a great deal of give in their mattress, might want to steer away from the Zinius Sleep 12-inch Pressure Relief Mattress.
- Strong smell. Although the Zinius Sleep 12-inch Pressure Relief Mattress uses an eco-friendly plant oil treatment, some reviewers have complained about a strong chemical-like smell.
Perfect Cloud Atlas Gel-Plus 10-inch Memory Foam Mattress
The aptly-named Perfect Cloud Atlas Gel-Plus 10-inch Memory Foam Mattress is a tri-layered mattress that has to be experienced to truly appreciate. The bottom portion of this great mattress consists of a 4-inch layer of Double-Air Flow high density Base Support Foam which provides bi-directional air flow for temperature-neutral sleep. This stable layer of foam provides your body with the support it needs for a weightless sleep experience.
The middle layer of the Perfect Cloud Atlas Gel-Plus mattress is comprised of 3 inches of comfort foam which also provides bi-directional air flow for the perfect night’s sleep. This added air flow helps to regulate your overall sleep temperature and ensures comfortable and cool rest throughout the night. Finally, the top layer of the mattress is made up of a thick 3 inches of 4-pound density Signature Gel-Plus Memory Foam, which contours to every part of your body. Earning the coveted “Just Right” Goldilocks standard, the mattress overall is the same type of mattress you are likely to encounter in an expensive hotel room.
In addition to the superb tri-layered deign, the Perfect Cloud Atlas Gel-Plus 10-inch Memory Foam Mattress includes a premium-textile stretch knit cover that is removable and washer/dryer friendly. The mattress comes with an impressive 10 year warranty and a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee that demonstrates the sheer confidence the manufacturer has when it comes to this product.
- Tri-layered. The three layers of foam on the Perfect Cloud Atlas Gel-Plus 10-inch Memory Foam Mattress ensure support, comfort and the best in air flow for a perfect night’s sleep.
- Relieves pressure points. Thanks to its design, the Perfect Cloud Atlas Gel-Plus 10-inch Memory Foam Mattress does a great job of relieving pressure points—spots that can be negatively affected with inner spring mattresses.
- Good for all sleep positions. Uniquely designed for comfort, the Perfect Cloud Atlas Gel-Plus 10-inch Memory Foam Mattress is ideal for back, side and stomach sleepers.
- Not very firm. The Perfect Cloud Atlas Gel-Plus 10-inch Memory Foam Mattress is not as firm as some of the other memory foam mattresses on the market.
- No edge support. While the bed offers more than enough support in the main sleeping area, there is very little edge support when used on platform beds.
Brentwood Home Cypress Mattress
A tall mattress as memory foam goes, the Brentwood Home Cypress Mattress features 3.5 inches of gel-based memory foam that conforms to your body for the best in pressure point relief and proper spinal alignment. The result is a night with less tossing and turning on a memory foam mattress that eliminates motion transfer for an undisturbed night’s sleep.
The two layers under the top layer of memory foam or made of high-density comfort foam and an even denser layer of foam on the bottom for the best in support. The mattress comes complete with a removable zipper cover that is lined with natural New Zealand Wool wicks—a material that wicks away moisture, prevents odor and regulates body temperature.
The CertiPur-US foams that comprise the Brentwood Home Cypress Mattress are free of flame retardants, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and phthalates, making this product one of the most eco-friendly mattresses on the market. The mattress’ medium feel makes it the ideal choice for all sleep positions; helping side, back and stomach sleepers alike find their perfect sleeping position. The Brentwood Home Cypress Mattress is made entirely in the Unites States of America and carries a limited 25 year warranty against any defects. When ordered, the mattress comes conveniently compressed and rolled in a box for carefree shipping and assembly is a snap, particularly on platform beds.
- Plush feel. While all memory foam mattresses are fairly comfortable, the extra ½ inch of comfort memory foam on the Brentwood Home Cypress Mattress gives it a very plush and luxurious feel.
- Motion isolating. Motion is isolated on Brentwood Home Cypress Mattress, which allows partners to change positions without disturbing the other sleeper.
- Extra cool. The gel-based memory foam on the Brentwood Home Cypress Mattress keeps the mattress forever cool, which leads to a deeper, more comfortable rest.
- Great for all sleep positions. The medium feel of the Brentwood Home Cypress Mattress makes it perfect for all positions of sleep—back, side and stomach sleepers.
- Very little edge support. Like the previous bed we reviewed, the Brentwood Home Cypress Mattress offers very little edge support when used on platform beds.
- Needs deep pocket sheets. Taller than most mattresses of this kind due to the extra inches of memory foam, the Brentwood Home Cypress Mattress may require deep pocket sheets. These tend to be a bit pricier than standard Queen sheets.
Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best Memory Foam Mattress for a Platform Bed
When shopping for a new memory foam mattress for your platform bed there are several factors and characteristics you should probably consider. Below we have outlined just a few of these considerations, but first we have provided a brief definition of a memory foam mattress and explained some of its benefits.
What Is a Memory Foam Mattress?
Memory foam mattresses are a class of mattresses that are made of poly foam cores with layers of memory foam and/or gel foam comprising the top layer. These mattresses work very well with platform beds, as they are designed to work with solid support foundations – beds without an underlying box spring.
When setting up a memory foam mattress on a platform bed, the bottom or foundation of the bed should be solid or slatted, with the slats very sturdy and spaced close together. Sturdy slats prove preferable as they allow plenty of airflow to prevent moisture build up and overheating. Denser memory foam mattresses can be on the heavier side, so always check the weight limits on your platform bed before proceeding.
Benefits of a Memory Foam Mattress
Memory foam has many benefits as a mattress material. It can alleviate pressure points by contouring closely to your body, while simultaneously spreading your weight evenly over the sleeping surface. Gel foam mattresses tend to be cooler than other types of mattresses, and they offer motion isolation to prevent partners from disturbing the other’s sleep. And of course, you can beat a memory foam mattress when it comes to softness and support, especially on a platform bed with no give.
What to Look for When Buying a Memory Foam Mattress
Comfort is, of course, a key consideration when purchasing any type of mattress. If the bed feels comfortable, you are more likely to get a full night’s rest when using it. When shopping, be sure to test out the mattress in a variety of different sleep positions when checking for comfort.
When you are buying a memory foam mattress for a platform bed, you must first consider the weight limits or weight recommendations of the bed itself. Then, when you are buying the mattress, consider its weight plus the typical weight of the occupants using it to make the most appropriate choice.
Always measure the height of the mattress to ensure it will a) be large enough for the sleep occupants, and b) the perfect size for the platform bed you own. Mattresses that are too large or small can create a lot of problems.
When checking the “support” of your memory foam mattress, you should try laying on it without the support piece (bed) first. If the bed feels supportive on the ground, it should also feel supportive when it is laid into position on the platform bed. Just be sure to place the slats very close together if you lack a solid foundation. Slats that are too far apart can cause the mattress to sag over time and may shorten the life of the mattress.
Last but not least is the warranty. Memory foam mattress manufacturers generally offer warranties on their products of between 10 and 25 years. Some of these are full, unlimited warranties, while others are very limited in scope. Just remember to read the fine print carefully before signing on the dotted line. You may also want to ask the retailer if you can “test drive” the mattress for a couple of weeks before buying. This will give you a better indication of how well you will ultimately sleep on it.