Are you looking to incorporate a clearer and sharper sound into your home theater or stereo equipment? Would you rather avoid the heft, hassle and mounting difficulties that are associated with bigger and heavier speakers? If so, a center channel speaker may be right up your alley.
These small, yet powerful speakers can solve the audio problems of any and all homeowners at a price that is usually very affordable compared to that of other speakers.
To help you in your quest to bring a quality sound to your home, below we have reviewed several of the most popular and hottest-selling center channel speakers on the market today, and highlighted the pros and cons associated with each product.
Last update on 2019-12-03 at 12:11 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
We have also compiled a Center Channel Speaker Buyer’s Guide, in which we will list and explain the various factors and features you should definitely consider when you set out to buy your next center channel speaker.
Klipsch RP-250C Center Channel Speaker
With its strong, flexible removable grill and 90 by 90 Hybrid Tractix Horn, the Klipsch RP-250C Center Channel Speaker works to improve high frequency and response, while enhancing imaging and dynamics. The one inch Linear Travel Suspension Titanium Tweeter on the speakers helps to minimize distortion for enhanced detail and performance, making it a core component of some of the best speakers in the world. Moreover, the patented Spun Copper Cerametallic Woofers help to maintain exceptional rigidity for minimal cone breakup and distortion. The all-new Tractix port on the speakers allows for the most efficient and fastest air transfer in the industry, as well as one of the most powerful frequency responses on the market today.
The Klipsch RP-250C Center Channel Speaker is encased in a beautiful MDF cabinet with a brushed polymer veneer baffle finish, and its clean and seamless lines enable them to be incorporated into any home décor. The removable grill attaches magnetically for an elegant transition from a powerful piece of audio machinery to a discrete home décor piece. All of the magnets are embedded within the baffle for superior high-frequency diffraction reduction. The Klipsch RP-250C Center Channel Speaker is guaranteed to offer some of the clearest movie dialogue and music lyrics for a superior home theater environment—a speaker that is set up to be paired with the Dolby Atmos home theater speaker package.
- Crystal clear. With crystal clear sound, the speaker works great for your favorite movies, shows and music.
- High-quality. The high-quality materials used to make the Klipsch RP-250C Center Channel Speaker make it very strong and durable.
- Stylish. With a lot of power packed into a compact design, the Klipsch RP-250C Center Channel Speaker matches up with almost any home décor.
- Premium priced. As you might expect, all of the quality packed into the Klipsch RP-250C Center Channel Speaker comes at a premium price, which may rule it out for the budget conscious shopper.
- Crossover Frequency. Some users have pointed out some crossover frequency with this device.
Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000 Compact Center Speaker
Winner of many awards and accolades, the Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000 Compact Center Speaker is the perfect centerpiece for any home theater audio system. A mid-sized speaker with two 4.5 inch mid-range woofers and a 1 inch aluminum dome tweeter, the speaker is very highly regarded by people in the know. What truly makes this speaker outstanding, however, is the addition of two bass radiators on either side of the case, which essentially double the amount of bass the speaker can provide. Also included is the patented Definitive Technology Balanced Double Surround Sound technology, which allows it to create a higher amount of output from smaller drivers.
Based on the way the Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000 Compact Center Speaker looks it would fit nicely into any home décor. Because the company believes strongly that beauty and power can coexist, the speaker is available in either a white or black high gloss finish, with great inlaid detail. Due to the addition of the extra bass radiators the speaker can only be mounted sideways. Fortunately, it includes a built-in foot that allows users to adjust or tilt the speaker so as to reach the listener at ear height when placed below the television. Optional wall mounts can also be used to mount this small but powerful seven pound speaker.
- Built-in foot. The built-in foot on the Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000 Compact Center Speaker allows you to tilt the speaker to ear height, providing a sharper, clearer sound.
- Aesthetically pleasing. Available in either a white or black high gloss finish, the speaker looks great wherever you decide to place it.
- Extra Bass. The side bass radiators give the Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000 Compact Center Speaker much more bass capability.
- Small. The Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000 Compact Center Speaker may be too small for some users.
- Can only be mounted sideways. Due to the large bass radiators on either side of the Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000 Compact Center Speaker it can only be mounted sideways.
Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker
A small speaker that truly produces results, the Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker incorporates a one inch (25mm) Fabric/Polymer Composite Dynamic Balance Dome Tweeter with a robust Neodymium magnet feature that delivers clear and detailed high frequency response for realistic reproduction of vocals and instruments. Add to that the two 5-1/4 inch bi-laminate composite dynamic balance drivers and you have a stiff and lightweight speaker with superior damping for high efficiency, amazing bass and lower distortion. The cabinet on the Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker, a non-resonant MDF enclosure construction with ¾ inch thick baffles, ensures a sharper and clearer sound, one that is more lifelike when compared to other speakers in this class.
The one-of-a-kind reversible design cabinets on the Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker can be turned upside down to aim up when placed below a video monitor, providing any room with a sound that must be heard to be truly appreciated. The five-way binding post connectors make for a more secure hookup; and the tilted design of the speaker is ideal for anyone who enjoys a powerful and more resonant sound without the bulk and heft of expensive large speakers.
- Very compact. The most compact speaker on our list, the Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker can be situated almost anywhere in your home or office.
- Great cabinet. The stylish MDF cabinet in which this center channel speaker is encased comes in either a high-gloss black finish or a veneered cherry wood grain.
- Secure hookups. The five-way binding connectors on the Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker give it a more secure hookup option.
- Not as loud. Due to its smaller size, the Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker is not quite as loud as some other speakers in this class.
- Bass problems. According to one or two users, this particular speaker did not deliver the type of bass sound they were looking for.
Center Channel Speakers Buying Guide
When setting out to purchase a center channel speaker, there are several features, factors and terms you will want to keep in mind. To help ensure you get just the right speaker for your needs and preferences, below we have covered some of these features and considerations to help you make a more informed purchasing decision.
Compatibility is a very important consideration when the subject is speakers. Hence, when you set out to buy a center channel speaker, you will need to make sure it is compatible with the other speakers that make up your home theater audio system. By ensuring this compatibility, you can ward off any change in the sound as it travels across the various speakers.
One of the best ways to ensure compatibility is to choose a center channel speaker that is made by the same company from which you purchased your other speakers. This certainly increases your odds of compatibility, but it doesn’t totally ensure it. Be sure to write down all of the information regarding your current speakers, and bring those specs with you when you shop. Show those specs to a speaker specialist to ensure the center channel speaker you select matches up sound-wise.
You may run across several technical specs when shopping for a new center channel speaker. And understanding these specs and what they mean can help you make a more educated decision. Here are just a few terms and specifications you may come across:
When looking at speakers, you may see the term configuration ratio, followed by numbers that look like 3:1; 6:1, etc. The first number in this ratio refers to the number of speakers, and the second number refers to the number of sub-woofers.
Crossover frequency is the frequency in which the signals will be divided and directed to certain drivers. The higher frequencies will go to the tweeter, the middle ones will be directed to the mid-range driver and lower ones to the woofer. You want to look for the highest crossover frequency possible, as the switch on these speakers is typically not audible to human ears.
The range of frequencies the center channel speaker is able to produce—this is the frequency response.
The tweeter is the speaker or driver responsible for producing the high frequency sounds.
This part of the speaker, the Subwoofer, will produce the low frequency sounds, also known as bass sounds; most often below 100Hz.
The Midrange Driver is the speaker that produces all of the middle range frequency sounds for the home theater system.
Other terms you should study up on before shopping for your next center channel speaker include Impedance, Bi-wire capability, Maximum Input Power, Sensitivity, Magnetic Shielding, and Normal Input Power.