Do you have an interest in wood carving? Could you use a little experience before moving up to professional wood carving tools? If so, the following information may be right up your alley.
Here we have reviewed several of the best woodcarving tool kits for beginners, and provided some of the advantages and drawbacks associated with each kit. We have also included a Buyer’s Guide for these type of products, one in which we will discuss the various things you should look for when purchasing a beginner-level wood carving tool kit, and the various factors you should consider before making a final purchase.
Last update on 2018-11-14 at 01:00 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
Carvers Craft Wood Carving Tools Knife Kit
The Carvers Craft Wood Carving Tools Knife Kit is a great set for beginners jut being introduced to the art of wood carving. The small and safe 12-piece kit comes complete with all of the knives you will need to enjoyably pursue this craft, each made from the very strongest SK5 Carbon Steel with Electrolytic Coating. In this kit you’ll receive”
• 3 gouges—a deep gouge, medium gouge and shallow gouge
• 3 chisels—a narrow straight chisel, wide straight chisel and rounded chisel
• 4 angled knives and chisels
• A Parting tool
• A Pinpoint tool
As a bonus, the kit also comes with a set of 26 stencils to help you get started on your initial products—stencils that will be emailed to you after purchasing the 12-piece knife kit.
In addition to working with stencils and patterns, the Carvers Craft Wood Carving Tools Knife Kit can be used for a variety of projects around the house, such as touching up antique furniture, creating mini models, and for carving items like spoons, bowls, boxes and animals—such as fish, birds, bears and even elephants. The kit is made in North America and the quality of the knives reflects this American workmanship.
• Lots of Pieces. The 12-piece Carvers Craft Wood Carving Tools Knife Kit allows you to practice a lot of different carving techniques without overdoing it.
• Blade Protector. The blade protector is a great safety measure for the Carvers kit.
• Versatile. The Carvers Craft Wood Carving Tools Knife Kit is ideal for working on a variety of different projects.
• Very Sharp. The sharp blades on the Carvers Craft Wood Carving Tools Knife Kit can potentially cause injury if not used correctly.
• Long Blades. The longish blades can sometimes cause problems with precision in the hands of beginner/novice carvers.
Tuma Crafts Professional Wood Carving Chisel Set
A great starter set for anyone interested in wood carving or woodworking, the Tuma Crafts Professional Wood Carving Chisel Set is both affordable and easy to use. All of the tools in this set are made from the highest-quality, hardened carbon steel—the same material used in professional wood carving and woodworking sets. All of the knives and chisels are honed to a fine edge before they are even shipped to you, allowing you to get to work on your first project the moment the kit arrives. So what is included in this 12-piece beginner wood carving set?
The Tuma Crafts Professional Wood Carving Chisel Set contains all of the following high-quality tools:
• 1x Round Nose Chisel: 5/16″
• 1x Skew Wood Turning Chisel: 5/16″
• 3x Straight Gouge: 7/16″, 1/2″, and 9/16″
• 1x V-Straight Parting Tool: 9/16″
• 1x Bent Chisel: 5/16″
• 1x Wood Chisel: 5/16″
• 1x Skew Wood Turning Chisel: 5/16″
• 2x Straight Chisel: 5/16″ and 1/2″
• 1x Pointed Wood Chisel: 5/16″
Along with all the great pre-sharpened tools that come in the Tuma Crafts Professional Wood Carving Chisel Set, purchasers will also receive the handy carrying case. This case helps keep every tool in the kit organized and protected from the elements, and makes transporting and storing the set a breeze.
All of the grips on these tools allow for a sturdy hold while still giving the carver the freedom of movement he (or she) needs. The set is extremely durable and long lasting when cared for correctly, which is why the makers of this product offer a 100 percent money back guarantee should any of the tools not live up to your expectations in the first 90 days.
• Plenty of Tools in the Set. With 12 tools in the set, the Tuma Crafts Professional Wood Carving Chisel Set offers beginners plenty of tools with which to experiment.
• Pre-Sharpened. Because the tools in the Tuma Crafts set come pre-sharpened right out of the box, beginners can commence to carving right away.
• Stay Sharp. Even after several projects, reviewers report that the Tuma Crafts Professional Wood Carving Chisel Set stay sharp.
• Short Warranty Period. The warranty period (90 days) for the Tuma Crafts Professional Wood Carving Chisel Set is shorter than that of other kits in this same category.
• Hardwood Deficient. The Tuma Crafts tool set does not include tools that stand up to some of the harder wood types.
Ramelson Beginner’s Carving Tool Set
As the name suggests, the Ramelson Beginner’s Carving Tool Set is the perfect choice for novice wood carvers and woodworkers, helping them to learn the basics of carving without any of the dangers. The set of 6 tools can be used with the hand or with a mallet, and the fired hardwood handles can really stand up to the punishment.
The Ramelson Beginner’s Carving Tool Set contains all of the following tools:
• 1x 3/8″ chisel
• 1x 3/8″ skew
• 1x 3/8″ bent chisel
• 1x 9/64″ straight gouge
• 1 x 5/16″ bent gouge and
• 1x 9/64″ bent V-parting tool
Highly recommended for beginners, the Ramelson Beginner’s Carving Tool Set is made in the United States of America, and all the blades are made from top-quality high carbon steel, making them easy to sharpen and helping them stay sharper longer. The comfortable 6.25 inch to 6.50 inch lengths of these tools make them very comfortable and sturdy in the hand; and all the blades are factory sharpened, making them ready to use right out of the box.
• Quality Construction. The top-quality construction of the Ramelson Beginner’s Carving Tool Set is outstanding, featuring hardwood handles and high carbon steel blades.
• Perfect for Beginners. According to experienced wood carvers, the Ramelson set of tools is simply ideal for getting to know beginner and advanced wood carving techniques.
• Made in the USA. The Ramelson Beginner’s Carving Tools are made in America from high quality materials.
• Number of tools. Unlike the other two sets we reviewed, which each contained 12 tools, there are only six tools contained in the set of Ramelson Beginner’s Carving Tools.
• Inconsistent Sharpness. According to some reviewers, the tool kit from Ramelson had some tools that “came in perfect after shipping, while others were very dull or misaligned.”
Beginner’s Wood Carving Kits: Buyer’s Guide
Wood carving and woodworking are crafts that have become great pastimes and an ideal way to “whittle” away the day. These days, there are many, many of these wood carving kits on the market that are geared for beginner users, but before buying one of these kits there are several things you should look for and a few factors you should consider. Here we have highlighted just some of these factors.
Number of tools
As you can see from just the few products we have reviewed above, the number of tools in these wood carving sets can vary greatly. We recommend you choose a kit with the greatest variety and number of tools—as different tools will definitely be needed for different project types.
There are few things you should look for when it comes to the construction of the wood carving tools, such as hardwood handles and blades that are made from carbon steel. Carbon steel, in addition to other high quality metals, can enable the user to have a more durable blade with which to work on the wood, and allows them to choose harder woods, instead of sticking with the softer ones.
The last thing a beginner wants to do when his wood carving tools finally arrive is to take the time to sharpen them before they can be used. Therefore, look for kits in which the chisel blades of the wood carving tools have been pre-sharpened by the factory, allowing them to be used immediately.
When looking at a box of beginner wood carving tools, make sure those tools have been inspected for quality by the regulating agency. Poor quality tools can break at the handle or the blade, potentially causing injury to the person holding the tool.
Some manufacturers offer a warranty on their wood carving tool kits, but some do not. You should definitely look for at least a 90 day (preferably longer) no-questions asked warranty, which will enable you to get a full refund should any of the tools break or become damaged during that period.