Smoked meats always seem to taste better than those prepared in other ways, but because most traditional smokers can only be used outdoors, you could typically only enjoy that smoked flavor in the warmer months or during the “grilling season.” However, with the introduction of these indoor smokers, you can now enjoy that great smoky flavor 12 months a year.
In the following article we have reviewed several of these indoor smokers, and included the pros and cons associated with each product. We have also provided an Indoor Smoker Buyer’s Guide near the end of the article, which will highlight the things you should look for when purchasing one of these great new products.
Best Stovetop Meat Smokers For The Money (2018)
Last update on 2019-09-06 at 05:46 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
1. Nordic Ware 36550 Indoor/Outdoor Kettle Smoker
The Nordic Ware 36550 Indoor/Outdoor Kettle Smoker is one of the best indoor smokers on the market today. The product works on any traditional cooktop—gas, electric or induction cooktop—and its high-domed lid, which makes it truly stand out from the competition in this category, enables it to smoke larger food items, such as a whole fryer chickens. The smoker is made of tough aluminized steel. The outer part of the smoker is treated with a porcelain enamel that gives it a beautiful aesthetic appearance, while the inside of the cooker is covered with a non-stick coating for easy clean up.
- Smoking foods at home has never been so easy
- Transforms everyday food into delicious meals
- High dome cover allows for maximum capacity
- Measures 6-7/8 by 13 by 13-1/2 inches. Do not cook on high heat (recommended smoking temperature is 190- 210 degrees F, adjust burner as needed)
- Made in the USA with thermometer from China and handle from Taiwan
Last update on 2019-09-06 at 03:17 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
When you buy the Nordic Ware 36550 Indoor/Outdoor Kettle Smoker you’ll get all of the following: a 13.5 inch smoker base and drip tray; a food tray, the high-domed lid, and a great thermometer with a convenient red arrow right at the 210 mark—the suggested cooking temperature according to Nordic Ware. The package also comes with an easy to follow instruction manual that includes recipes; two small containers of Cameron’s Hickory and Apple Smoking Chips, which allows you to use the smoker right out of the box, with no need to purchase any additional items.
To use the smoker, simply place its base on any traditional cooktop, and sprinkle in roughly two tablespoons of the smoking chips, atop of which you will place the drip tray. This tray can also double as a water pan to aid in the smoking process.
All things considered, the Nordic Ware 36550 Indoor/Outdoor Kettle Smoker is a great little smoker for the price, especially when you want to smoke large chunks of meat that won’t fit on other smokers.
- High-domed lid. The high-domed lid on the Nordic Ware 36550 Indoor/Outdoor Kettle Smoker allows you to smoke larger pieces of meat with ease.
- Non-Stick Coating. The non-stick coating on this smoker makes cleanup a breeze.
- Indoor/Outdoor. The Nordic Ware 36550 Indoor/Outdoor Kettle Smoker can also be used outdoors on any charcoal or gas grill.
- Metal Handle. The handle on the Nordic Ware 36550 Indoor/Outdoor Kettle Smoker is all metal, meaning users will have to use pot holders to touch it.
- No Dishwasher. Because of the non-stick coating on the inside of the smoker, it is not recommended for the dishwasher—a small hassle to say the least.
- Not Airtight. The lid on the smoker, according to some customers, is not airtight, and will thus emit a little smoke into the kitchen.
2. Camerons Stainless Steel Stovetop Smoker
The original Stainless Steel Stovetop Smoker from Camerons will allow you to get all the great flavors associated with smoking without the fat that’s associated with other cooking methods, making this smoker a great addition to any kitchen.
Although there really isn’t a lot to the Camerons Stainless Steel Stovetop Smoker, it does produce some pretty fantastic results. The smoker is made of stainless steel and measures 15 inches long, 3.5 inches deep, and 11 inches wide. This may seem small for a smoker, but there is plenty of room inside to smoke fish and smaller cuts of meat, as well as vegetables and even nuts. Very easy to maneuver and extremely portable, the smoker weighs just 8 pounds, which includes the wire shaped handle that conveniently folds away, making storing the smoker a snap.
- Stovetop Smoker - Smokes meat, fish, vegetables and more right on the stovetop! Can also be used as a steamer, poachers, or roasting pan.
- Smoking Box - All components nest inside the smoker when not in use and the handles fold away for easy storage.
- Indoor Smoker - Can be used on any heat source (gas, electric, or campfire).
- Includes - Stovetop Smoker, Stick-Free Rack, Drip Pan, Lid, BONUS Wood Chip Sample, and Recipe Guide.
- Seamless stainless steel construction is dishwasher safe.
Last update on 2019-09-06 at 03:42 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
When you buy the Camerons Stainless Steel Stovetop Smoker you get everything you need to try the smoker out that night, including a small jar of the wood smoking chips, an instructional manual and some healthy, yet delicious recipes. The smoker can be used on electric, gas and induction cooktops, and can even be used over a BBQ grill or campfire thanks to its durable steel construction. The recipe book includes instructions on how to lay the wood chips down and how to add the wire support rack, before placing the entire unit atop your cook source.
The Camerons Stainless Steel Stovetop Smoker is actually much more than a smoker. By adding water the unit can be used as a convenient steamer, and can even be used for roasting larger pieces of meat.
- Dishwasher Safe. Thanks to its stainless steel construction, the Camerons Stainless Steel Stovetop Smoker is 100 percent dishwasher safe.
- Versatile. The smoker can do much more than smoke meats: it can be used as a roaster, steamer and even a poacher.
- Great Warranty. The warranty on this smoker is very generous, allowing people to get a no-questions-asked replacement or refund if any part of the unit is defective.
- Leaking Smoke. Like the product we reviewed above, the lid on the Camerons Stainless Steel Stovetop Smoker is not completely airtight. Users have complained that a small amount of smoke leaks from the corners, so you may have to use an exhaust fan when the unit is in use.
- Imported. If you are the type of person that believes everyone should buy American-made products, this smoker might not be for you.
- Shallow. The shallow nature of the pan does not allow you to smoke very large cuts of meat without cutting them to size.
3. Demeyere RESTO Stovetop Smoker
The very attractive Demeyere RESTO Stovetop Smoker is ideal for anyone who wishes to enhance the flavor of meats and vegetables by adding a delicious wood-smoked flavor to the mix. Made from stainless steel and completely safe for the oven and the dishwasher, this four-piece smoking set comes with the smoking pan, smoking chamber, the rack and lid. The unit was originally designed to work on induction cooktops, but any source—gas, electric—will do.
- 18/10 Stainless Steel
- Oven Safe up to 600F
- Works on all stovetops
- Welded Handles
- Dishwasher safe.
Last update on 2019-09-06 at 05:46 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
The Demeyere RESTO Stovetop Smoker is made from superior materials that ensure even heat retention and distribution. Boasting matte finishes on the exterior and interior of the unit, it looks great in any kitchen, largely thanks to its high gloss finished lid that truly stands out.
Using just some water on the bottom of the drip pan, and a sprinkling of pre-shaved wood chips, the Demeyere RESTO Stovetop Smoker allows you to smoke everything from beef to chicken to salmon. The unit is very lightweight, and the two welded handles on either side of the smoker make it very maneuverable and portable.
- Wet and Dry Smoking. The Demeyere RESTO Stovetop Smoker is suitable for either wet or dry smoking and only needs roughly two tablespoons of wood shavings to get the job done.
- Attractive and Durable. The Demeyere RESTO Stovetop Smoker is made from tough 18/10 stainless steel that makes it very durable, and the matte finish and high gloss lid make it an attractive addition to any kitchen.
- Great Warranty. The smoker comes with a two-year manufacturer’s warranty that assures the smoker will work as expected.
- Depth. Although this smoker has a domed lid like the Nordic Ware model, it still may not be deep enough to smoke very large cuts of meat.
- No Outdoor Use. While other smokers can be used atop outdoor gas and charcoal grills, the Demeyere RESTO Stovetop Smoker is not recommended for outdoor use.
- Imported. Like the previous model, the Demeyere RESTO Stovetop Smoker is imported, with most of the parts made in Belgium.
Indoor Smoker Buyer’s Guide
If you’re currently in the market for an indoor smoker, there are several things/factors you should look for when purchasing one of these units. Here we have outlined just some of these aspects.
The depth of the smoker will typically determine the types of meats you can smoke. Indoor smokers that are very shallow will not be able to cook things like fryer chickens or small turkeys.
Some smokers include domed lids that allow you to smoke larger pieces of meat. Before buying a smoker, make sure to read some reviews. This can prevent you from buying a smoker that leaks smoke due to an ill-fitting lid.
If you plan to take your smoker with you occasionally, the weight of the unit is something you should consider. These smokers typically range from 8 pounds to over 20 pounds.
Most of today’s stovetop smokers can work on any heat source—gas, electric and induction cooktops. Some can also be used outside, on gas and charcoal grills, but this is not the case for every smoker.
Try to select a smoker that can be used for other purposes besides smoking, such as steaming, roasting and poaching. Also, smokers that can do both wet and dry smoking can help you try out different cooking methods and recipes. This versatility will help you get the most for your money.
Some smokers rely on whole wood chips, while others can only be used with wood shavings that are specially designed for the smoker in question. Finding these wood shavings, however, may present a challenge, as they are not as readily available as wood chips.
Smokers that are dishwasher safe can save you a lot of time in the clean up department.
baby back ribs image urban_light(Deposit Photos)