Steam cleaners are trending all over the world. This is no surprise – steam cleaners are extremely efficient and capable cleaning machines.
The high temperature in the steam allows ensured sanitization across any surface and removes any oil or grease stains. Many steam cleaners may not even require any detergent and simple water is enough to work perfectly.
In this best steam cleaner buying guide we are going to discuss the considerations which need to be taken to get the optimal steam cleaner for yourself.
We are also going to have a look at the top five steam cleaners on the market right now.
Karcher SC3 All-in-One Steam Cleaner – Editors Choice
- Reliable and continuous supply of steam
- Sanitizes completely, with 99.9% bacteria removal
- Automatic system for descaling
- Pressure of up to 3.5 bars to ensure that even the toughest grease / grime is removed
- Small in size
The powerful motor and a reliable supply of high temperature steam means that the SC3 is fully able to get anything clean, irrespective of whether it is floor, window or upholstery.
The extensive variety of nozzles and attachments are designed ergonomically and give you the flexibility of reaching in to the tightest of corners, without much hassle.
The steam flow can easily be controlled using the switch on the handle, while the heater only takes about thirty seconds to get going.
The tank can be refilled even during the operation of the steam cleaner itself. This means that there is no pause required and you can use the machine continuously for long hours.
There is a protective filter to eliminate lime scale automatically, which means that that you can use both soft and hard water for steam cleaning, without any hiccups in performance.
Moreover, there is no need to use any sort of detergent of cleaner except water, with independent testing confirming that the SC3 can eliminate up to 99.9% of bacteria on its own.
Lastly, the patented ‘Comfort’ floor cleaner allows you to reach even the toughest of places.
The Karcher SC3 comes with a solid two year warranty, given that the product is only used for domestic use.
This steam cleaner is heavier than some other cleaners.
BISSELL Vac and Steam 2-in-1 Vacuum Cleaner
- 2 in 1 (vacuum and steamer)
- Preinstalled on demand feature for steam supply
- Special dry tank tech for preventing excess steam moisture
- Four litre water tank capacity
- Adjustable steam flow
- Overheating protection
- Adjustable handle height
- 2 washable microfiber pads
Solve two cleaning problems at once with this machine which, uniquely, gives you a chance to vacuum and steam clean at the same time.
During our research, we discovered that the Bissel Vac & Steam was effective in both categories – it’s suction, albeit not as strong as a dedicated vacuum, can easily pick up small bread crumbs and rice grains, while the steam cleaner can wipe up curry stains in no time.
It only takes 30 seconds to start up. After use your floor is dry within minutes. The lightweight machine is simple to operate. The cleaner has been made with user friendliness in mind.
You can choose to just vacuum, just steam, or do both together. The easy digital controls enable you to switch between low steam, high steam and vacuum.
The retractable handle allows you to pick a height that is comfortable for your height, great for reducing the risk of back ache! The dry-tank tech keeps any steam moisture away from the surface as you clean.
The Bissel Vac & Steam has a 2 year warranty that is activated with the purchase of the product.
This steam cleaner can be harder to get into smaller areas but the benefits of it being a steam cleaner and a vacuum cleaner outweigh this problem.
Remember this model is only for floor use, it has no attachments like the Karcher above for cleaning cookers, sinks and other areas.
Quick Start Up
Easy To Store
Removable Mop Base
Difficult To Get Into Small Areas
Suction Not Very Strong
Filter Needs Regular Washing
Vax S7 Total Home Master Multifunction Steam Mop (Best Budget)
- Quick Conversion To Handheld Mode
- Nozzle With Precise Control
- Ergonomically Designed Accessories To Reach Even The Tightest And Most Awkward Areas
- 16 Piece Accessories Set
This low priced machine is incredible for a light spot cleaning. It is a multi-function steam mop. We thought that it was anything but difficult to switch amongst handheld and upright modes; and in spite of the fact that the steam pressure isn’t as capable as some – you just get 15 minutes’ steam time – it’s useful for wiping clean surfaces. The surface area dries rapidly as well. It only takes 20 seconds to heat up and produce steam. The steam mop comes with an extensive catalogue of sixteen piece accessories and nozzles. This will help in tackling any cleaning problem, be it dirt, grime or grease stains. There is also a dedicated window cleaning tool included. The body and parts have been designed with ease of use in mind.
You can purchase this product with an ease of mind as Vax gives a 2 year performance guarantee for it.
Easy to use
Not easy to assemble/disassemble
Morphy Richards 720025 Total Clean Pets Steam Cleaner
- It is an upright steamer with a detachable handheld feature
- Comes with an absorbent cloth for quick wiping
- Special triangular floor-head to reach in and clean all the corners of the house without making any awkward postures
- Can clean all and any type of flooring including sealed hard floors, tiles and laminates and refreshing carpets and rugs
- Easy to carry and light weight, meaning that you can work with it for long hours without tiring
The Morphy Richards 720025 steam cleaner is a great choice for domestic usage. It will provide cleaning from the top to the bottom, taking care of all the things in between.
It is a super versatile tool that can be used both as upright and handheld. The conversion requires only a pressing of button and involves no complications.
The handheld version allows for greater precision, while the upright version gives a better reach. The steam cleaner has been designed to give an all-round performance. The flexibility of usage (supported by a five meter long cable) and the ability to clean as good as a vacuum cleaner makes it a top model in the market. The machine heats up within half a minute and is good for operation thereafter. Refilling is pretty simple as well and the current water tank capacity lasts for up to 14 minutes at full steam power.
This product comes with a 2 year guarantee.
Simple To Move Into Corners And Clean Little Spaces
Nozzles And Attachments Are So Easy To Use
Works Truly Well And Everything Comes Out Truly Spotless
Simple To Store Cable With The Hooks On The Casing
Helpful Storage Bag With Every One Of The Connections
A Large Number Of Attachments
Simple To Change Over Into A Handheld Steamer
Takes longer to get started compared to other top models
There are a few dead angles at which the device pauses and needs to restart the steam production
Dirt Devil 5-in-1 Steam Cleaner
- A Total Water Tank Capacity Of 0.33 Litres
- 5-In-1 Steam Tools For Greater Versatility And Efficiency
- Easy To Use And Effective Cleaning
- Light In Weight
- Washable And Long Lasting Pads
This is one of the earliest products included in the Dirt Devil steam cleaners line up. With a modest price tag, the 5-in-1 steam cleaner looks very promising and claims to be the only steam cleaner which you would ever need. It is an easy to use and easy to maintain machine.
The cleaner features an easy to release handheld version and also comes with an extension hose capability. This means that you can reach those tight spaces without any hassle. You can go through even the toughest grease and grime and wipe it off. If you find a really persistent grease stain, put on the concentrate nozzle and clear it off. Now the kitchen oven grills will look new forever!
While researching, we found out that the Dirt Devil 5-in-1 can be put flat under furniture and super quiet while operating. This is in contrast to many other top models mentioned above. All the parts can be disassembled and the cleaner can be stored in a cupboard.
Given that it is a budget product, it only comes with a one year limited warranty for manufacturing faults.
Great Budget Buy
Cleans Sealed Hard Floors
Quick Switch Usability
Water Tank Has An Easy Grip Plug
Multiple Power Levels
Water Chamber Knob Is Not A Screw Fitting Type
Steam Pressure At Top Setting Is Super High And Can Cause Injury
Buying Guide – What To Look Out For
Steam cleaners are getting more and more popular with each day. Naturally, more and more companies are also popping up and producing a variety of products to match each other. Although there are numerous models available on the market now, most steam cleaners can be categorized in one of three sorts: handheld, mop and cylinder. The distinctions between these sorts are described below.
Every type has its own advantages and disadvantages that may depend on your own requirements.
The three types of steam cleaners:
- Handheld: These are small in size and easy to use on the go. Good for cleaning tiles, windows, etc.
- Mop: This style comes with a long handle and are perfect for mopping floors. Water is stored in the handle column.
- Cylinder: This type is the bulkiest of all, since it carries the most water. It comes with a flexible hose and several nozzles/attachments to clean different types of surfaces.
There are a few specifications which you should know about so that you are able to buy a steam cleaner that is really usable for your purposes. These include:
- Water Tank: The larger the water tank, the longer the cleaning life of steam cleaner per refill. A smaller tank may only last for eight to ten minutes, however, a larger tank can easily accommodate more than thirty minutes of cleaning. Depending on your frequency of use and the scale of cleaning required, you may want a large, medium or small water tank.
- Power & Temperature: The higher the power and, consequentially, temperature, the more steam is generated by the system. If you have a large scale and difficult cleaning task at hand, you may want to go for a higher power machine.
- Steam Cut Type: If you want to look for a machine that does not leave any traces of water after the cleaning job is completed, you should look in to one that has a trigger gun which cuts off steam supply as soon as it is released.
Note: Steam cleaners cannot be used as carpet cleaners – some can be utilized to spot clean rugs, but nothing more. In any case, to do a profound carpet cleaning job you would require an independent carpet cleaner.