Clear the air! Freshen your home, desk, or even your car with a small air purifier! One of the toughest scents to remove from the air is cigarette smoke; but there’s no excuse for smelling like an ashtray at work, in the car, and especially at home. There are tons of small area air purifiers out there, but we’ve gathered the best small air purifier so you don’t have to.
Whether you’ve just found out about an allergy, or you just don’t like the idea of your air being invaded by foreign smells and particles, an air purifier is the best choice. But what exactly do they do?
- Best Small Air Purifiers for Smoke
- Levoit Air Purifier – For the allergy ridden
- AeraMax Home Air Purifier- Asthma and allergy friendly
- Holmes True HEPA Air Cleaning Allergen Remover- For small apartments
- SilverOnyx Air Purifier – Captures large particles too!
- Oreck Air Response HEPA Purifier- For small rooms
- Ozone Mini Car Air Purifier- For the Car
- Anion Sterilization Air Purifier – For your desk
- SereneLife Air Purifier – For odor protection
- PureZone 3-in-1 True HEPA Air Purifier- For the bedroom
- Holmes HEPA Type Desktop Purifier- For your desk
- Other options- Large area air purifiers:
- Final Verdict
How an air purifier works:
Many air purifiers contain a HEPA filter. HEPA stands for High Efficiency Particulate Air. A true HEPA filter removes 99.7% of all particles that are 0.3 microns or larger out of the air. It is important to ensure that your air purifier has a true HEPA filter. Some air purifiers will claim a HEPA-type filter, which is like a true HEPA filter in design, but not in efficiency.
HEPA filters remove small allergens from the air, such as asbestos, pollen, pet dander, chemicals, dust, and smoke. Placing an air purifier in a room forces the air in that room to pass through a HEPA filter, and the more times air passes through a HEPA filter, the cleaner it becomes. Surprisingly enough, the air inside the home is actually dirtier than air outside the home, thus the need for an air purifier.
With this in mind, let’s look at the 10 best small air purifiers to remove smoke in 2018.
Best Small Air Purifiers for Smoke
Depending on the size of your home, you could either need a large or small air purifier. Large area air purifiers are best for open areas—such as an open floor plan, large living room, attic, or basement. Small area air purifiers work best in enclosed areas, such as bedrooms, a nursery, the bathroom, or any other smaller area with a door that can be closed.
With small area air purifiers, the most efficient way to use them is to close the door in the room where they are running, which allows the air in that room to be cycled through the air purifier multiple times. It is best to have a different air purifier in each room if the doors will be closed at any time while the air purifier is on. Small air purifiers work best in areas of up to 500 sq. ft. and large air purifiers work best in areas of over 500 sq. ft.
Levoit Air Purifier – For the allergy ridden
The Levoit Air Purifier contains a true HEPA filter, meaning that it removes 99.7% of allergens from the air. The Levoit is a perfect buy for people who suffer from allergies, nasal stuffiness, or who want to remove odors from pets, cooking, and smoking. The Leviot is ideal for spaces up to , which is normally the size of a living room. The three filtration stages of the Levoit Air Purifier will remove pollen, dust, pet dander and hair, household odors, and cigarette smoke from the air in your home. Breathe easier with the Leviot Air Purifier.
- LED Display
- Quiet sleep-operation mode
- 3 filtration stages (Fine preliminary filter, True HEPA filter, Activated Carbon filter)
- True HEPA technology
- Air quality indicator
- Noise level is higher than expected on highest mode
- Filter replacement can be expensive
AeraMax Home Air Purifier- Asthma and allergy friendly
If you have allergies or asthma, the AeraMax 100 Home Air Purifier is the best machine for you. The sleek machine doesn’t take up a lot of space in your home, and the HEPA filter with an AeraSafe antimicrobial treatment cleans your air of the pollen, ragweed, viruses, germs, dust mites, mold spores, and cigarette smoke. Finally get a good night’s sleep while the AeraMax 100 Home Air Purifier cleans the particles out of your bedroom; allergies be gone!
- Certified asthma and allergy friendly by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America
- Special mode for cold and flu season
- Purifies small rooms (100-200 sq. ft.)
- Sleek design
- AeraSmart sensor detects and purifies the air
- Loud purifier
- Filters must be changed every month
Holmes True HEPA Air Cleaning Allergen Remover- For small apartments
The Holmes True HEPA Air Cleaning Allergen Remover is the ideal air purifier for large rooms, such as a living room, large kitchen, or master bedroom. The small air purifier is barely two feet tall, but can purify spaces up to . Whether you have an open layout in your home or apartment, or you need to get the funky smell out of the basement, the Holmes True HEPA Air Cleaning Allergen Remover is a perfect air purifier for you.
- LED progress bar indicates when it’s time to change filter
- 3 stage cleaning filters (odor eliminator, total air, carbon filter)
- Easy to assemble
- 4 speed settings; customizable for all conditions
- Purifies spaces up to 500 sq. ft.
- Filters are a little bit expensive
- Noisy on the highest setting
SilverOnyx Air Purifier – Captures large particles too!
The SilverOnyx Air Purifier is the perfect machine for small spaces. Weighing only 4 lbs., the SilverOnyx has five speeds to grab dust, smoke, hair, pet dander, bacteria, and allergens out of the air. The HEPA air filter that the SilverOnyx uses—the HEPA H13—is the proven leader in filtering out ultra-fine particles. Clean your bedroom, nursery or even home office with the SilverOnyx Air Purifier; just set up, plug in, and breathe easier.
- Five stages of filtration (pre-filter, HEPA H13, activated carbon, anion generator, UV-C)
- Filters air in spaces up to 600 sq. ft.
- Sleep mode with quieter purification
- Five speeds for all conditions
- Built in air ionizer
- Filter is not washable
- Loud in higher settings
Oreck Air Response HEPA Purifier- For small rooms
The Oreck Air Response HEPA Purifier automatically monitors, detects, and responds to any allergens, smoke, dander, or mold spore particles in the air. The Oreck Air Response comes in three sizes, perfect for small, medium, and large spaces. The Oreck Air Response HEPA Purifier contains a powerful 2-stage filtration system that will keep even the smokiest of bedrooms or home offices clean.
- DustSense automatically detects and responds to particles in the air
- Air quality indicator bar
- Replacement filter lets you know when it’s time to change the filter
- Sleek design
- 2-stage filtration (HEPA Media, Activated Carbon)
- Doesn’t pick up pet hair or dust very well
- Plastic components
Ozone Mini Car Air Purifier- For the Car
The Ozone Mini Car Air Purifier is the best purifier for on the go use! Do you smoke in your car, or just want to freshen up the space? Then the Ozone Mini is the purifier for you. The small air purifier removes dust, pollen, cigarette smoke, dust, and bad odors from your car, all through the 12V DC port.
- Small and sleek in design; perfect for use in the car
- Purifies the air in your car completely within 8 hours
- Removes unwanted smells in the car
- Fireproof ABS material
- Low power and high efficiency
- Produces ozone
- Cannot be used in RVs or large trucks
Anion Sterilization Air Purifier – For your desk
The Anion Sterilization Air Purifier is the perfect air purifier for the office. Set-up is easy out of the box, just plug it in and leave the Anion Sterilization Air Cleaner on the corner of your desk. Remove the funny unwanted smells from the cubicle next to you, while removing allergens, bacteria, dust mites, pet dander, pollen, and smoke.
- Sleek, small design
- Easy to use; power it on and forget it’s even there
- Quiet machine; lower than 30 decibels
- Lightweight and portable
- Two modes for minimal energy consumption
- Filter must be changed every six months
- Only works in small spaces
SereneLife Air Purifier – For odor protection
The SereneLife Air Purifier is ideal for capturing dust, pollen, pet dander mold, gases, allergens, and smoke particles. The SereneLife is not only extremely effective for small spaces, this air purifier is also extremely easy to use. Just plug it in, and start breathing cleaner air in minutes! The sleek design fits in even the tightest of places, and helps keep odors at bay.
- Dual layer shied with HEPA and carbon filter
- Germ killing UV light
- Ultra-quiet operation
- Covers areas of up to 430 sq. ft.
- Ventilation fan allows for extended air flow
- Can be loud on high speeds
- Does not remove odors in open areas
PureZone 3-in-1 True HEPA Air Purifier- For the bedroom
The PureZone 3-in-1 has a true HEPA filter, 3 speeds, and a UV sanitizer to remove germs, bacteria, and fungi in the home. The PureZone is smaller than other models, and is easy to pick up and move should it be necessary. The PureZone eliminates dust, pet dander, mold spores, pollen, pet hair, smoke, and household odors from your home; so quiet you barely even notice. Open the box, set up the PureZone, and you’ll be on your way to cleaner, more pure air in minutes!
- Very quiet
- 3-in-1 filter (pre-filter, activated carbon, HEPA)
- UV-C sanitizer
- Filter reset indicator
- Automatic timer
- Can dry out the air
- Takes a little longer for air to circulate
- Only covers small area (200 sq ft)
Holmes HEPA Type Desktop Purifier- For your desk
The Holmes HEPA Type Desktop Purifier is perfect for your home or work office. The small, sleek design fits nicely on the corner of a desk or shelf, and has three speed settings to keep your air pure, no matter what you’re up to. The Holmes Desktop Purifier can be used with a number of Holmes filters, making it an easy fit when it’s time to change the filter.
- Perfect for small areas (up to 109 sq. ft.)
- Can be used with multiple filters
- 3 speed settings
- Optional ionizer
- Dual positioning (can be placed vertically or horizontally)
- Can be noisy at high speeds
- When vertically placed, it is less stable than horizontally
Other options- Large area air purifiers:
Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier – For stage by stage purification
The Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier is the perfect filter for large areas. Able to tackle a full basement, or open plan apartment of up to , and comes in multiple colors, styles, and varnishes to match any décor. Not only is the Alen BreatheSmart quiet, containing WhisperMAX technology, it also contains four HEPA filters to suit all of your needs: HEPA-Pure, HEPA-Silver, HEPA-FreshPlus, and HEPA-OdorCell. The HEPA-Pure grabs dust, pollen, pet dander, mold and spores out of the air, followed by the HEPA-Silver, which is an all-around filter that removes germs, mold, and asthma related concerns out of the air. The HEPA-FreshPlus is a chemical filter that removes smoke, VOCs, and heavier chemicals from the air. Finally, the HEPA-OdorCell is an odor neutralizer that removes pesky smells from the air, such as diaper and pet odors.
Pros of the Alen BreatheSmart:
- 4 different HEPA filters
- Large area coverage (1100 sq. ft.)
- Air quality indicator
- Airflow fans to maximize clean air
- Whisper-quiet performance
Cons of the Alen BreatheSmart:
- More pricey than other brands
- Larger than other models
Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier – For the light sleeper
The Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 is an ultra-quiet HEPA purifier with a BLDC motor that operates at 5 speeds to increase or decrease air flow as needed. Twice per hour, the Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 circulates the air in a room or apartment. Not only does the Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 Ultra Quiet Air Purifier clean the air in your home, it also does it without leaving a huge carbon footprint. The Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 is an eco-friendly machine that uses less energy than many other air purifiers. Stay green!
Pros of the Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0:
- Four stages of filtering (pre-filter, HEPA filter, Charcoal-based activated carbon filter, negative ion generator)
- EnergyStar machine
- Quiet machine; virtually silent at low speeds
- Filters last up to three years, and are washable
- Purifies air in rooms up to 625 sq. feet
Cons of the Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0:
- Must be placed 2ft away from the wall
- Filter needs changed every other month
If your home or car is overrun with odors of cigarette smoke and you’re sneezing every five minutes, it’s time to buy an air purifier. Check out our top picks:
- The AeraMax Home Air Purifier is a great choice for those with asthma or allergies. Not only is it certified asthma and allergy friendly by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America; it also has a special mode for cold and flu season that helps keep your family healthy and happy.
- The Oreck Air Response HEPA Purifier automatically monitors, detects, and responds to any allergens, smoke, dander, or mold spore particles in the air. It contains a powerful 2-stage filtration system that will keep even the smokiest of bedrooms or home offices clean.
- The SilverOnyx Air Purifier not only captures pollen, pet dander, and smoke smells from your house, it also grabs large particles too! Dust and pet hair are sucked up into the air purifier, keeping them out of the air.
No matter which filter you chose, your nose, and your lungs will thank you! Breathe easier!