Skimming and sweeping your in-ground pool by hand can take hours, often leaving you too tired and worn out to enjoy all the benefits your pool offers. This is where robotic pool cleaners can be so helpful. These products, three of which we have reviewed below, can take the hassle and worry out of pool cleaning—cleaning and maintaining your pool so it is always ready to use.
Here we will provide some of the pros and cons associated with these best selling robotic pool cleaners to help you make the most informed decision for your needs. We have also included a Buyer’s Guide detailing the various things you should look for when shopping for a robotic pool cleaner.
- Best Robotic Pool Cleaners For The Money (2018)
- 1. Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robotic Pool Cleaner (with CleverClean)
- 2. Polaris F9550 Sport Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner
- 3. Heyward SharkVac Robotic Pool Vacuum (RC9740CUB)
- Robotic Pool Cleaner Buying Guide
Best Robotic Pool Cleaners For The Money (2018)
Last update on 2019-09-06 at 05:46 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
1. Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robotic Pool Cleaner (with CleverClean)
The Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robotic Pool Cleaner is a next-generation robotic pool cleaner that is sure to make your in-ground pool sparkle throughout the year. Relying on an easy to clean and very convenient cartridge filter system (rather than bags), the unit also has a spring cleanup option that tackles both large and small particles of dirt and debris.
- Cleaning made convenient. Set your Dolphin's weekly scheduler to automatically clean for you- every day, every other day, or every 3rd day.
- Powerful dual scrubbing brushes forcefully attack tough dirt and debris on the floor and walls. Large top-load cartridge filters capture leaves and fine debris for an optimal clean swimming pool in 2 hours.
- CleverClean delivers a smart and efficient clean using advanced algorithms for complete pool coverage. Anti-tangle patented swivel cable allows your Dolphin to move around your pool with ease.
- Peace of mind. This easy-to-use single button operation in-ground pool cleaner is backed by an extended 2.5 year manufacturer's assurance. Ideal for swimming pools up to 50 feet.
- Quick payback. 8X more energy efficient than suction and pressure cleaners saving you energy with every pool cleaning!
Last update on 2019-09-06 at 03:17 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
The Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robotic Pool Cleaner has a patented swivel cable that prevents that cable/hose from becoming entangled with itself. Using smart technology, the Dolphin Robotic Pool Cleaner scans and navigates your pool, rather than running aimlessly about, often getting stuck in the same section of the pool for hours. Because of this intuitive scanning and navigation technology, the cleaner is able to scrub, vacuum and filter all pool surfaces, including the walls, in just 2 to 2.5 hours.
The dual scrubbing brushes on the Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robotic Pool Cleaner are great at attacking tough dirt, debris and even tiny particulates. The unique actions of these brushes provide better friction, which ultimately leads to a higher degree of cleaning performance, especially when compared to other similar-styled pool cleaners that merely skim the pool floor.
Able to clean pools up to 50 feet in length, the Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robotic Pool Cleaner includes a weekly timer function that enables it to automatically run its programmed two-hour cycle at set intervals throughout the week. The end result is a sparkling pool without hours of sweeping and skimming by hand.
- Versatile. The Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robotic Pool Cleaner works very well on a wide variety of pool surfaces—as long as it’s an in-ground pool.
- Self-Cleaning. This robotic pool cleaner features a self programming option to ensure complete pool scanning and cleaning. And the auto-shutoff system makes it very independent.
- Quiet Operation. The Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robotic Pool Cleaner runs quietly as it cleans. It gets our top pick as the best quiet pool cleaner.
- No handle. Because the unit has no handle, it can be difficult to lift it out of the water.
- Not Efficient with Large Debris. Although extremely effective on small dirt and particulates, the unit struggles somewhat with large debris.
- Corners and Edges. The Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robotic Pool Cleaner does not clean the corners and edges of the pool as well as it does the flat surfaces.
2. Polaris F9550 Sport Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner
The Polaris F9550 Sport Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner is an intuitive and very intelligently constructed pool cleaner—a four-wheel drive robotic cleaner boasting state-of-the-art Aqua Trax tires that make it very effective on all pool surfaces. Featuring its patented ActivMotion Sensor Technology, the pool cleaner is one of the best of its kind in terms of navigation, even when operating in very large and free form pools of various dimensions and shapes.
- 4-wheel drive robotic cleaner outfitted with Aqua-Trax tires for all pool surfaces
- ActivMotion Sensor Technology for unmatchable navigation, even in larger and free-from pools.Cable Length:70 feet Cable
- Vortex Vacuum Technology allows cleaner to pick up larger debris while maintaining maximum suction
- Rear water propulsion system allows cleaner to reach debris under stairs and in tight corners
- Includes 7-day programmable timer, hand held remote and powder coated alloy caddy. Remote control : Yes. Motion-Sensing ; Cable Length 70' Cable / 60' Pool
Last update on 2019-09-06 at 03:42 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
While most robotic pool cleaners are effective against smaller debris, the Polaris F9550 Sport Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner can tackle larger debris while still maintaining the same level of incredible suction. Its rear water propulsion system allows the cleaner to reach hard-to-get-to areas of the pool, including tight corners and around the pool stairs; and the 7-day programmable timer not only makes scheduling the robotic cleaner a snap, its hand-held remote and powder-coated remote caddy keeps all the power of this unit in your own hands.
The Polaris F9550 Sport Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner is designed with oscillating brushes that help scrub dirt and stains away easily. The debris collected by the unit is easy to remove from the top of the cleaner. This ease of emptying is attributed to the lid and large capacity filter canister, which collectively eliminate the need for messy bags that can overflow into the pool.
Perhaps most impressive about the Polaris F9550 Sport Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner is the motion-sensing remote, which puts the cleaning of your pool in the palm of your hand. Just point the remote at the robotic cleaner and it will clean the immediate area in which you pointed.
- Push to Retrieve Function. The push to retrieve function comes in very handy when it’s time to clean the filter.
- Great Design. The excellent design of the dirt cartridge makes cleaning the Polaris F9550 Sport Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner a snap.
- Fully-Programmable. With the adjustable timer, it’s easy to set automatic cleaning cycles for every day of the week.
- Flotation Device. The flotation device does not allow the Polaris F9550 Sport Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner to climb high up pool walls.
- Price. For the price, it does not perform as well as other high-end robotic pool cleaners.
- Cord Tangles. The cord can become tangled, thus limiting the cleaner’s movement.
3. Heyward SharkVac Robotic Pool Vacuum (RC9740CUB)
The Heyward SharkVac Robotic Pool Vacuum has a lot of great features that pool owners will absolutely love. Utilizing its state-of-the-art smart steering technology, the unit provides an intelligent and extremely efficient pool cleaning pattern, giving it the ability to scour pool floors and hard-to-reach corners in just a matter of a couple hours.
- Uses smart steering technology that provides an efficient cleaning pattern, scouring pool floors and coves in just about 2 hours
- Runs separately from the pool's filtration system reducing the frequency of filter backwash cycles; Top-access filter allows quick debris removal and easy cleanup
- No extra hoses, hookups or pumps required; 2 fine porosity filter elements - just remove and rinse with garden hose, no need to turn cleaner over to empty
- Top-access cartridge filter allows quick debris removal and easy cleanup
- SharkVac cleans pool floor only; Voltage: 115 VAC 60 Hz
Last update on 2019-09-06 at 03:42 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
Unlike other pool cleaners and pool sweeps, the Heyward SharkVac Robotic Pool Vacuum operates independent of the pool’s complicated filtration system. This is very notable as it reduces the frequency of backwash cycles from the filters; and the top-access, above-water filter enables you to remove the debris easily while also cleaning this part of the unit.
When using the Heyward SharkVac Robotic Pool Vacuum, no extra hookups, hoses or pumps are needed. This is because of the 2 very fine porosity filter elements; just simply remove the filter and rinse it with a standard garden hose.
The SharkVac unit produces reliable and consistent results while also maximizing energy efficiency. Whether the unit is cleaning the floors of your pool, the coves or the walls, the robust low-profile design of this robotic pool cleaner enables it to clean almost effortlessly without repeating over areas that have already been cleaned.
- No Hassle Cleaning. With the Heyward SharkVac Robotic Pool Vacuum, the debris remains in the filter cartridge until you empty it. This means no hassling with messy bags or nets.
- Quick Cleaning. This robotic pool cleaner is able to clean most pools in 90 minutes or less.
- Versatile. Can work on a variety of surfaces, including concrete, gunite, and fiberglass pools, and never requires a booster pump.
- Heavy. The Heyward SharkVac Robotic Pool Vacuum can be difficult to pull out of the water for some people.
- Tangles. The cord on this robotic cleaner can occasionally become tangled, creating a hassle for you.
- No Wall Cleaning. Unlike some of the other robotic pool cleaners, this unit does not clean the walls of the pool, just the floor.
Robotic Pool Cleaner Buying Guide
When shopping for a robotic pool cleaner like the ones we reviewed above, there are several things you should definitely look for. Below we have pointed out just a few of these very important factors:
Type/Size of Pool
Most robotic pool cleaners can handle a variety of surfaces, but if you have a sleek and slippery fiberglass pool, the brushes may scratch this surface. Also, based on the size of your pool, you will need to select a robotic pool cleaner whose cable is long enough to reach every corner and crevice without overstretching the cable.
What Does It Clean?
Some robotic pool cleaners simply vacuum the floor of your pool. Others may clean the floor, coves and bottom portion of the walls. Still others will clean all of the above, while also stretching all the way up the walls to the water line.
Suction power is generally stated in Gallons Per Minute, or GPM. We recommend a cleaner above 70 GPM to ensure adequate suction.
To avoid cable tangling, look for a robotic pool cleaner that comes with a mechanical swivel or a gyro cable system.
When comparing robotic pool cleaners in terms of filtration, the lower the “micron value” the better. With a low micron value, the cleaner will be able to purify, polish and even disinfect, in addition to cleaning your pool.
Power Washing Jets
Power washing jets are essential for pools that have fine silt and particulates, on which standard brushes might not be effective.
Warranty and Service
Although usually we do not include warranty as an important feature to look for, in the case of these cleaners, the warranty and service package truly matters, especially given their high price.
Other features to look for when buying a quality robotic pool cleaner include bot caddies, hand-held timers and programming units, and power supplies that offer additional programming and even faster cleaning. You can also look for units that utilize the least amount of energy while offering the same level of cleaning.
top image copyright welcomia (DepositPhotos)