Are you in need of a little storage space in your backyard, a place in which you can store garden tools and supplies, pool equipment, outdoor furniture or even toys? Would it be nice to have ready access to all of these supplies when you need them?
If you answered yes to both of these questions the following article is for you. Here we have reviewed several of the most popular, durable and backyard-friendly garden sheds currently on the market, and highlighted the benefits and drawbacks associated with each shed.
We have also included a Garden Shed Buying Guide, in which we will outline and explain the various characteristics to look for—and the factors to consider—when shopping for your next garden shed.
- What Are The Best Outdoor Garden Storage Sheds For The Money in 2018-2019?
- 1. Suncast BMS4900D Glidetop Slide Lid Shed
- 2. Keter Factor Large Resin Outdoor Backyard Garden Storage Shed
- 3. Lifetime 6405 Outdoor Storage Shed
- Garden Shed Buying Guide
What Are The Best Outdoor Garden Storage Sheds For The Money in 2018-2019?
Last update on 2023-01-31 at 06:23 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
1. Suncast BMS4900D Glidetop Slide Lid Shed
Durable and long lasting, the Suncast BMS4900D Glidetop Slide Lid Shed boasts a double wall resin construction that is tough as nails. This makeup also makes the shed very easy to maintain. The shed has a sliding lid for walk-in access; and the easy-bolt design makes for a very secure assembly that requires just a few tools. The reinforced, sturdy floor enables it to handle all of your regular garden tools, up to and including a full-size lawn tractor/mower.
Perfect for smaller yards, the Suncast BMS4900D Glidetop Slide Lid Shed is very spacious and roomy. It is able to hold up to three bicycles or two lawnmowers plus a variety of tools and accessories. In addition to being a terrific garden shed, it is also great for storing things like outdoor furniture (for the winter), pool equipment, and more. The shed is made from high quality thick materials and is reinforced with tough steel for extra strength. The shed can be erected easily, usually within an hour, and requires only a Philips-head screwdriver. The Suncast BMS4900D Glidetop Slide Lid Shed is also fully lockable and can stand up to any and all weather conditions.
- No maintenance required. With its tough resin walls, the Suncast BMS4900D Glidetop Slide Lid Shed requires little to no maintenance.
- Spacious. The shed is large enough to store one lawn tractor, two lawnmowers or three bikes with ease.
- Durable. Made with reinforced steel, the Suncast BMS4900D Glidetop Slide Lid Shed is built to last a lifetime.
- Cannot paint it. Unlike some other sheds, which can be painted or fixed up, the Suncast BMS4900D Glidetop Slide Lid Shed cannot be painted.
- Limited customer service. According to some users, there is limited customer service with the Suncast BMS4900D Glidetop Slide Lid Shed.
2. Keter Factor Large Resin Outdoor Backyard Garden Storage Shed
With internal dimensions of 43.7 inches in width, 74.8 inches in height and 69.7 inches in depth—and with a storage capacity of 131.8 cubic feet—the Keter Factor Large Resin Outdoor Backyard Garden Storage Shed is very spacious, making it the perfect shed for all of your garden supplies. The shed is made from durable, weather-resistant resin and is reinforced with steel for extra toughness. If value is an important consideration to you, this shed is probably right up your alley. The perfect starter shed for the new homeowner, the Keter Factor Shed is plastic, yet attractive and well-built, making it look great in any yard. Large enough to store a lawnmower and many other garden tools like shovels, rakes, hoes, etc. the shed is the ideal size for any garden space.
The windows in the Keter Factor Large Resin Outdoor Backyard Garden Storage Shed allow for lots of natural light to filter into the shed. This means no fumbling around in the dark to find the right tool, as the shed is always bright during the daylight hours. The shed is equipped for great organization; it contains shelves for stacking things like lawn seed and fertilizers, some tool hooks and a handy pegboard that enables you to organize your garden equipment like a pro. Although the Keter Factor Large Resin Outdoor Backyard Garden Storage Shed does require some pretty involved installation, once this is complete you will have the shed of your dreams—one that will last as long as you own your home.
- High Ceilings. The high ceilings on the Keter Factor Large Resin Outdoor Backyard Garden Storage Shed enable you to stack vertically and take advantage of the vertical space.
- Windows. The windows on this shed allow for plenty of natural light, ensuring you will never have to fumble around looking for a tool.
- Great organization. With shelves, a pegboard and tool hooks, the Keter Factor Large Resin Outdoor Backyard Garden Storage Shed offers plenty of ways to organize your tools.
- Must be installed on flat surface. Because of the way it is designed, the Keter Factor Large Resin Outdoor Backyard Garden Storage Shed must be installed on flat ground.
- Tedious assembly. Assembling the Keter Factor Large Resin Outdoor Backyard Garden Storage Shed can be a somewhat tedious process and the instructions are a little cloudy in terms of detail.
3. Lifetime 6405 Outdoor Storage Shed
Measuring roughly 8 feet by 10 feet, the Lifetime 6405 Outdoor Storage Shed is the perfect shed for any backyard space. The shed includes a shatterproof window on the side, allowing for plenty of natural light to better see your tools and organize your shed. There are also 4 rooftop skylights and two screened vents that greatly add to the light provided by the window. In terms of organization, the shed included convenient shelving and plenty of tool hooks—hooks on which to hang both smaller and larger tools. The high-arching doors on the shed are reinforced with steel for extra toughness; and the door offers a 4 foot wide by 6 foot high opening through which to bring in your tools. The shed is completely lockable and childproof, thanks to the internal latching mechanism that keeps the door very tight and secure when in the closed position.
The Lifetime 6405 Outdoor Storage Shed also features high pitched roof support A-frame trusses which provide 6 feet-8 inches of head room, allowing most any size person to stand upright in the shed without having to bend over. This steep A-frame roof style is also great in inclement weather, as it allows for very rapid drainage of rain and snow, making the shed the perfect all-weather storage solution.
The Lifetime 6405 Outdoor Storage Shed boasts a high density polyethylene floor that can support massive weights without cracking. This material will also never chip or peel and is completely slip resistant, thanks in large part to its beveled edge that also makes it resistant to oil and stains.
- Budget Friendly. The Lifetime 6405 Outdoor Storage Shed is by far one of the most budget-friendly sheds—which is surprising given everything it offers.
- Lots of Light. Between the four skylights, shatterproof window and two screened vents, there is always plenty of natural light in this shed.
- Great floor. The floor of the Lifetime 6405 Outdoor Storage Shed is not only tough and durable, resistant to peeling and cracking, it is also slip resistant, making it a much safer shed than many others on the market today.
- Assembly requires 2 people. Trying to assemble the Lifetime 6405 Outdoor Storage Shed alone would be too much to ask of anyone.
- Flimsy panels. Some have complained that the outer panels on the Lifetime 6405 Outdoor Storage Shed feel a bit flimsy and wobbly.
Garden Shed Buying Guide
There are many characteristics and factors to consider when shopping for—and ultimately purchasing—a backyard garden shed. Here we will take a look at just a few of those considerations.
Material of Your Garden Shed
When it comes to the material from which your new shed will be made you have many choices, including metal, vinyl and wood, among others. Let’s take a brief look at all three of these material choices:
Metal sheds are typically made from galvanized steel or aluminum. These sheds are usually coated with a tough, baked enamel or powder coated finish to prevent scratches and corrosion, but if the shed lacks this finish it may be susceptible to rust. Metal sheds are usually maintenance free and come in a variety of colors.
Built with double-wall vinyl panels to resist dents, vinyl sheds often come with paintable steel doors for extra security and durability. They are virtually maintenance free and can withstand most any weather conditions.
Wood garden sheds are the most attractive of the three types, looking more like little houses than sheds. Wood sheds can be painted and fixed up, but they may require a lot of maintenance down the road and are not the best material for wet and rainy climates.
There are also many sheds now made of tough plastic resins which are very durable, weather resistant and virtually maintenance free.
Size of Your Garden Shed
Garden sheds come in a variety of shapes and sizes, from small to medium to very large. To ensure you select the perfect size shed for your backyard, you will definitely need to consider the amount of free space you have available for a shed, as well as the volume of goods you plan to put into it—lawnmowers, bicycles, toys, etc.
Accessories to Consider
There are many accessories available for garden sheds. Some of these accessories are merely aesthetic in nature, while others have a practical use. Some of these include:
- Ramps. A ramp leading up to the door your garden shed can be a lifesaver when you have to store a lawnmower or a wheelbarrow.
- Windows and Skylights. Windows and skylights allow for a lot of natural light to filter into your garden shed. Not only do these accessories look great, they can prevent you from having to fumble around in the dark for a tool you need.
- Shelving. Shelving can come in very handy in garden sheds and is a great way to organize them. Shelves are perfect for storing goods you would rather not keep on the floor for safety’s sake, such as fertilizers and weed killers.
- Work Benches. If you plan to conduct work in your shed, a work bench will give you a convenient place in which to do that work.
- Peg Boards. The mother lode in terms of tool organization, a peg board is a great addition to any garden shed.
Finally, if you do not consider yourself a “handy” person you will need to consider the headache—or the cost—of installation. While some smaller sheds may come pre-assembled, the majority of garden sheds will require at least some degree of assembly and/or mechanical know-how. There are always resources such as Angie’s List or Thumbtack that you can employ to do the heavy lifting for you.