If you have ever visited a true infant nursery, you have no doubt noticed how quiet the caretakers there try to keep the environment. That’s because loud noises can negatively affect the sensitive hearing of very young infants and babies.
To help you protect your baby’s hearing during noisy outings—on busy streets, at concerts or amusement parks—below we have reviewed several of the best and most popular noise-cancelling headphones or earmuffs for babies, and highlighted the pros and cons of each product.
Last update on 2021-10-25 at 18:01 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
We have also included a Noise Cancelling Headphones Buying Guide that is specific to babies, in which we will discuss the various factors and traits to keep in mind when shopping for these safety-based products.
Baby Banz Infant Hearing Protection Earmuffs
Available in two different vibrant colors—bright blue and stylish pink—the Baby Banz Infant Hearing Protection Earmuffs are the ideal way to block out potentially harmful noises and protect your baby’s sensitive hearing from sounds that are not safe for infant ears.
These noise-cancelling headphones are made from a tough composite plastic to resist breakage and are renowned for their ability to cancel out noise. Made almost exclusively for babies 2 years of age or younger, the earmuffs are 100 percent hand-washable to protect from unwanted dirt, grime and germs. They are rated as “Category 4” in terms of hearing protection, meaning they are capable of protecting a child’s ears from some of the loudest and most pervasive noises in the environment.
Weighing only 190 grams, these headphones are the perfect choice for very young babies, as they won’t put any undue stress on their heads or necks and will feel just as comfortable as a soft hat. The earmuffs additionally feature extra-padded ear cups, which allow infants to sleep straight through some of the noisiest of environments.
- Good for boys and girls. Available in both bright blue and pink colors, the Baby Banz Infant Hearing Protection Earmuffs are perfect for baby boys and girls.
- Great noise cancelling ability. With a Category 4 Rating, the earmuffs are great at cancelling out a wide variety of loud noises.
- Lightweight. The lightweight construction of the Baby Banz Infant Hearing Protection Earmuffs makes them very comfortable to wear.
- Problems with fit. Some reviewers have complained that the Baby Banz Infant Hearing Protection Earmuffs do not provide a snug fit around infant ears.
- Only two colors. The Baby Banz Infant Hearing Protection Earmuffs are only available in pink and blue, while other similar products offer a variety of colors and patterns.
Pro Ears Hearing Protection Ear Muffs for Babies
Built exclusively with babies in mind, the Pro Ears Hearing Protection Ear Muffs for Babies are some of the most durable noise-cancelling headphones for infants available on the market today.
These best-selling headphones feature an adjustable top-head strap, which enables them to fit babies of various sizes; and the leather ear cushions offer an irritation-free experience not found with other products in this class.
Boasting extra thick foam to help them block out problematic environmental noise from a variety of sources, the Pro Ears Hearing Protection Ear Muffs for Babies are made with tiny ears in mind and have proven comfortable in a number of independent tests. One of the most coveted features of these noise cancelling headphones for babies is the variety of colors in which they are available. Moms and dads can choose from headphones that are colored neon green, neon pink, neon orange or blue diamond. Other colors include pink rain, pink zebra, neon yellow, zebra and cosmic grey, giving families a whole wealth of color and themes from which to choose. Passive in nature, the earmuffs have a NPR rating of 25 decibels, meaning they can block out that many decibels in noisy environments.
- Passive noise cancellation. The passive noise cancellation qualities of the Pro Ears Hearing Protection Ear Muffs for Babies give them a NPR rating of 25 decibels.
- Lots of colors. Parents who choose the Pro Ears Earmuffs have a wealth of choices and themes to choose from
- Extra cushioning. Offering extra padding where it is needed most, the Pro Ears Hearing Protection Ear Muffs for Babies are very comfortable to wear.
- Can cause pain after extended wear. Once the leather cuffs around the ears have become worn down, the Pro Ears Hearing Protection Ear Muffs for Babies can cause irritation.
- Better protection available. There is better ear protection available for babies.
BEBE Certified Noise Reduction Ear Muffs
Boasting a wonderful design, the BEBE Certified Noise Reduction Ear Muffs are made specifically with very young ears in mind.
They boast a very lightweight construction and are ergonomically designed to provide the best and most comfortable fit possible. Their unisex construction and many different color options also make them the perfect noise cancelling headphones for both baby boys and baby girls.
The BEBE Certified Noise Reduction Ear Muffs are built to fit children between the ages of 3 months and 2 years. Perhaps the best part is that these earmuffs can be custom built to fit the size and dimensions of your child’s head based on measurements you take yourself for the best possible fit. The headband and the ear cushions on the BEBE earmuffs are very cushioned and padded for the best feel and a firmer, snugger fit than you are likely to find on similar products in this class. The fit of the earmuffs can be adjusted just by manipulating the easy-move strap on the headband.
The BEBE Certified Noise Reduction Ear Muffs have a NR rating of 25 decibels, which is about standard for products of this kind, and they come with a no questions asked, full money-back guarantee for life.
- Great noise cancellation. The design, fit and NR rating of the BEBE Certified Noise Reduction Ear Muffs give them great noise cancelling properties.
- Custom made. The BEBE Certified Noise Reduction Ear Muffs can be custom made to fit your child’s head.
Adjustable fit. The easy-move strap located on the headband of these earmuffs make them very easy to adjust.
- Not great fitting on very small children. For children in the 3 month to 6 month range, the fit of the BEBE Certified Noise Reduction Ear Muffs may not be as snug as most parents would want.
- Premium priced. Compared to other products on our list, the BEBE Certified Noise Reduction Ear Muffs are not very budget friendly.
Noise Cancelling Headphones for Babies: Buying Guide
Now that you have had an opportunity to read about some of the most popular and best-selling noise cancelling head phones for babies, you may be ready to hit the stores and pick up a pair for your very young child. However, before you do, please read the following Buying Guide, in which we will highlight some of the factors and characteristics you should definitely consider when buying these types of earmuff products.
Since you are buying noise cancelling headphones/earmuffs to protect your baby’s hearing, it’s important that you check out the NR rating associated with each product you are considering. Also known as the NRR rating or SNR rating, the NR rating tells you how effective a product is at blocking out unwanted noise. The standard for products such as these is 25 decibels. What this means is that if you are at an event where the noise level reaches 75 decibels, the headphones will cancel out 25 decibels of that noise, leaving only 50 decibels—a marked improvement. The higher the NR Rating, the more effective the earmuffs will be at blocking out noise. Keep in mind, however, that these NR rating studies are conducted in a lab, one in which the conditions are perfect, so the actual NR rating may vary on the low side.
Most noise cancelling headphones for babies have an adjustable head strap, but that strap can only adjust so far. Hence, it is crucial that you measure the dimensions of your child’s head when purchasing one of these products so as to get the best fit possible. Try to buy a pair of earmuffs that fit your child’s head at the smallest adjustment setting. That way, as your baby grows you can always adjust the strap outwards.
Of course, you also want the noise cancelling headphones you purchase to be cushioned and comfortable. A comfortable fit will avoid irritation to your baby’s ears, and will most likely prevent your baby from trying to pull the earmuffs off at loud events.
Color and Schemes
Noise cancelling earmuffs for babies are available in a myriad of styles, colors and patterns. In fact, many of these products are designed more with mom in mind than the baby, boasting colors that can match any outfit and make your baby look just as cool as he/she will feel.
Some noise cancelling headphones come with no warranty at all, while others offer a lifetime warranty against any defects. We recommend you steer toward a pair of earmuffs in the latter category, as a good warranty demonstrates the manufacturer’s confidence in its product.