St. Augustine grass makes for a beautiful lawn. However, because it is a specialty grass you will need to mow it the correct way—and with the right type of mower. To help you do this, below we have reviewed three of the best lawnmowers available for this type of grass, and described the benefits and drawbacks of each of these mowers. We have also included a Buyer’s Guide that will help you select just the right mower for your gorgeous St. Augustine lawn.
1. Earthwise 1715-16EW Push Mower
Those looking for an inexpensive and eco-friendly alternative to mowing their beautiful St. Augustine lawn should definitely check out the Earthwise 1715-16EW Push Mower. Officially known as a Reel Mower, this Earthwise model is fairly easy to use, lightweight, and super easy to assemble right out of the box. They are perfect for those who have smaller lawns and not a lot of time to mess with outdoor maintenance.
- 16" Cutting width, 7-blade ball bearing reel, and 10" Composite wheels; unbreakable Steel side plate
- Ideal for cutting bent grass- Bermuda, Zoysia, Centipede, St. Augustine, and Seashore paspalum
- Blades are made of Alloy Steel for staying sharp longer
- Adjustable cutting Height of 0.5"-2.5" For a clean, even cut every time
- Eco-friendly alternative to gas-powered lawn and garden equipment
Last update on 2019-09-05 at 09:04 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
Unlike gasoline-powered mowers, the Earthwise 1715-16EW Push Mower requires very little to no maintenance whatsoever. You will never have to mess with heavy gasoline cans, spark plugs, oil and grease—just take the mower outside and you are ready to work. Their lack of gas and oil emissions also make them much friendlier to the environment and their manual operation also provides good cardio exercise.
The Earthwise 1715-16EW Push Mower boasts a 7-blade ball bearing reel and a wide 16-inch cutting width which helps users cut more grass in a single pass. It has various height adjustments, ranging from ½ inch to 21/2 inches, enabling it to cut lawns of all lengths with ease. Because of its 7 blades, it is recommended on all types of bent grass, including St. Augustine, Centipede Grass, Bermuda, Zoysia and Seashore Paspalum.
The product ships fast from outlets like Amazon and can be ready to use just minutes after arrival.
- Eco-Friendly. The Earthwise 1715-16EW uses no gas or oil and it does not emit any harmful emissions that can damage the environment.
- Economical. At just a reasonable price, this mower is a great value for anyone with a smaller yard.
- Easy to Assemble. With labeled parts and clear instructions, the Earthwise 1715-16EW push mower is super easy to assemble.
- Ineffective in some cases. The Earthwise 1715-16EW is not very effective against tall weeds and grasses.
- Not Time Friendly. Unless your yard is very, very small, the Earthwise 1715-16EW Push Mower will take a long time to cut your yard.
2. Greenworks 27022 Dethatcher
St. Augustine grass takes some pretty special care that you can’t normally get with some of today’s power mowers. That is why this product—the Greenworks 27022 Dethatcher—is so special. Made by a manufacturer that takes great pride in the fact that all of their products leave no carbon footprint whatsoever, the Greenworks 27022 Dethatcher is the perfect solution for your beautiful St. Augustine lawn. Best of all, the mower comes with an incredible 4-year warranty, meaning if anything breaks during that time period you can have the mower replaced at no extra cost.
- 14-Inch Dethatching Path
- Powerful 10 Amp Motor
- 3-Position Tine Depth Adjustment
- Stainless Steel Tines
- Foldable Handles For Compact Storage
Last update on 2019-09-05 at 12:42 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
Unlike the manual push mower we reviewed above, the Greenworks 27022 Dethatcher comes with a robust 10-amp motor that makes mowing your lawn a breeze. Add to that the comfortable, biometrically designed and fully adjustable handle with padded grip and you’ll almost feel grateful every time your lawn needs to be spruced up. The mower comes with a wide, 14-inch dethatching path. The tines that help with the dethatching have three different depth adjustments, providing a greater measure of control by helping you to remove layers of grass that have already been pushed down or matted, which also improves the health of your St. Augustine lawn. The tines are made of sharpened stainless steel, guaranteeing you years of worry-free mowing. It is also the perfect tool for preparing your lawn for reseeding in the spring.
- Stainless Steel. The stainless steel tines offer better performance for a longer period of time.
- Motorized. Unlike the manual push mowers, the Greenworks 27022 Dethatcher has a 10-Amp motor that will help you get the job done faster.
- Great Value. Available at a reasonable cost, the Greenworks 27022 Dethatcher is a great solution for your St. Augustine lawn at a very fair and reasonable price.
- Good Warranty. The 4-year, no-questions-asked warranty is one of the longest offered for these types of products.
- Restrictions. The Greenworks 27022 Dethatcher is not recommended for use with cords over 50 feet, and should only be used with 12 gauge cords according to the manufacturer.
- Missing Steps. More than one buyer has reported that the assembly instructions were missing steps.
- Longevity. Some users have reported that their Greenworks 27022 Dethatcher would not start after using it only one or two times.
3. Fiskars 18 Inch Staysharp Max Reel Mower
The Fiskars 18 Inch Staysharp Max Reel Mower is a push mower that can work wonders on tough-to-cut bent grass like St. Augustine. Unlike other push mowers, which can be difficult to get moving in tough grasses, the Fiskars 18 Inch Staysharp Max Reel Mower utilizes the power of your own momentum beautifully. This can be largely attributed to some of the technological advancements this mower boasts, such as its patented InertiaDrive reel technology and VersaCut, which enables it to put a clean cut on a variety of grass types regardless of length.
- The lawn mowing enjoyable with an advanced reel mower that's 60 percent easier to push than other reel mowers
- InertiaDrive reel is designed for all grass types, delivering twice the cutting power to glide through tough spots and StaySharp cutting system cuts without unwanted contact, greatly reducing wear for long-lasting performance
- New reversible grass chute can be positioned to direct clippings forward, away from your feet, or backward and downward
- Inset wheels allow the blades to extend across the mower's full 18 inch cut width and cut height can be easily adjusted from 1-4 inch
- Inset wheels allow the blades to extend across the mower's full width, eliminating uncut strips and edges near foundations and fences
Last update on 2019-09-05 at 21:50 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
The Fiskars 18 Inch Staysharp Max Reel Mower has many different fine-tuned height adjustments, ranging from 1 inch to 4 inch, and cuts close to the ground with every pass. It comes with a unique looped handle design that makes it very ergonomic and comfortable to use on any lawn type. The mower comes almost entirely pre-assembled, save for the handle and a few other components, and because it requires no gas, oil, etc. it can be used immediately after assembly. The 18-inch cutting deck is one of the largest in the industry, making every job that much faster and easier to do.
- Cut Quality. The cut quality with the Fiskars 18 Inch Staysharp Max Reel Mower is consistent and even—not quite what you would expect from a push mower such as this.
- Easier to Push. With its InertiaDrive technology, the Fiskars 18 Inch Staysharp Max Reel Mower is 30 percent easier to push as compared to other similar mowers in this class.
- Large Cutting Deck. The large, 18-inch cutting deck on this mower is one of the largest we have found, enabling users to cut more grass with each pass.
- Can Be Inconsistent. If you do not set the mower at 1/3 of your lawn height you will not get a consistent cut.
- Pricey. The price tag for the Fiskars 18 Inch Staysharp Max Reel Mower seems very high for a push mower.
St. Augustine Lawn Mowers Buying Guide
When shopping for the best lawnmower to tackle your St. Augustine lawn, there are several things to consider—and several things to look for. Here we have compiled just a few of these factors to make your shopping experience a little faster and more effective.
Manual vs. Electric
Because of the manner in which St. Augustine grass grows, it is often better to go with a reel mower than a gas-powered lawnmower of some kind. And within the category of reel mowers, there are essentially two kinds: manual reel mowers and electric reel mowers, both of which we have reviewed above. Electric mowers can offer you some push assistance when tackling large expanses of lawn. However, they also have more moving parts, which may mean they will need more maintenance down the road.
Cutting Head Width and Ease of Pushing
The cutting head or cutting wheel on these reel mowers come in various sizes. Those with small cutting heads are perfect for very small yards and might be a little easier to push. Mowers with larger cutting heads can cut more grass in a single pass, making them much more economical in terms of time, albeit harder to push in some cases. Some mowers have added technological advancements that make pushing easier, so if this is a concern for you it pays to look at the large and small print.
Some of the better mowers may offer height adjustments between ½ inch to 4 inches, while others do not offer as many height adjustments.
7-Blade Reel vs. 5-Blade Reel
Five-blade reel mowers are typically better for tall grasses like fescue, while 7-blade reel mowers tend to handle the bent grasses like Bermuda and St. Augustine much more efficiently. Hence, if you are looking for a lawnmower to cut your St. Augustine lawn, it’s best that you look for a 7-blade reel mower.
Some of the reel type mowers we reviewed come with a straight horizontal handle, while others have switched to a loop design for their handles. In most cases, this is a mere matter of preference, but some users have reported easier pushing with the latter-style of handles.
Reel mowers, which work great on St. Augustine lawns, tend to vary in price—usually between roughly $70 and $300 (varies by retailer). Naturally, some of the more expensive models are going to come with more features. However, if you only have a very small patch of grass to mow every week, you may be able to get away with a more affordable model.
Although reel mowers do not require the same level of maintenance as gasoline-powered mowers, they have been known to break down. And when they do, you are going to wish you had a warranty. Most warranties are good for 1 year all the way up to 4 years—so this is definitely something you should consider.
top image: tammykayphoto (Deposit Photos)