Cooktops come in a variety of sizes and styles, from gas cooktops to electric cooktops, and even the new induction cooktops that are now flooding the market.
So with all of these cooktops to choose from, how do you know you’re getting the right one for your kitchen?
To help you answer this question, below we have reviewed several best-selling cooktops, and provided some of the benefits and drawbacks associated with each model. We have also included a Buyer’s Guide at the end of this article that will show you exactly what to look for when shopping for a gas or electric cooktop.
No products found.
No products found.
1. Ramblewood High Efficiency 2 Burner Gas Cooktop
The ETL safety certified Ramblewood High Efficiency 2 Burner Gas Cooktop is the perfect unit for those cooks who rarely use more than two burners at a time when cooking, and whose kitchens may be too small for one of the larger cooktops now available. With dimensions of 12″(W) x 20″(D), the small, compact design of this cooktop means it can fit snugly on any stove top or range without taking up any much-needed room in the kitchen. It includes 2 fast acting sealed burners: A Max Power 8,400 BTU top burner; and a 5,800 BTU bottom hob burner that is perfect for whipping up side dishes as the main course is made. The burners are lit using a convenient electric ignition switch, but should there be a power failure of some kind, the Off-Grid feature of the cooktop will enable you to continue cooking without any interruptions.
The Ramblewood High Efficiency 2 Burner Gas Cooktop has an attractive and easy-to-clean stainless steel surface with a heavy cast iron pot stand. It comes standard with a safety device with thermal couple and a flame out failure detection trigger mechanism. Should a failure be recognized by this mechanism, the Auto-Gas shutoff feature will ensure your continued safety.
- Compact – The small, compact design of the Ramblewood High Efficiency 2 Burner Gas Cooktop means you can essentially make room for it anywhere in the kitchen.
- Off-Grid Feature – In cases of power outages, the Off-Grid feature on this unit allows you to light the gas cooktop with a match and continue cooking.
- Auto-Shutoff – The Auto Gas shutoff function on this unit will stop the flow of gas when a failure of some kind is recognized by the flame out failure trigger mechanism.
- Number of Burners – The Ramblewood High Efficiency Gas Cooktop only comes with two burners, far less than the four or five burners on the other products we have reviewed.
- Price – Given that there are only two burners on this cooktop, we think the price seems high when compared to other similar products.
- One-Year Warranty – The one-year warranty on the Ramblewood High Efficiency 2 Burner Gas Cooktop is not very long for a product of this type.
2. Empava 34″ Tempered Glass Built-in Stove Top Gas Cooktop
The Empava 34″ Built-in Stove Top Gas Cooktop comes complete with 5 Sabaf burners imported from Italy. The unit can fit on any standard stovetop and the tempered glass panel makes the unit look very sleek and modern. The knobs that control the burners are front-mounted, a nice touch that keeps them out of the way of the burners, and the “flame out protection device” is added to prevent kitchen accidents that can often be serious. The electric pulse ignition on the Cooktop makes it easy to start the unit at just the push of a button, and the easy-clean surface makes it fast and hassle-free to clean up spills as they happen.
The five European-style burners on the Empava 34″ Built-in Stove Top Gas Cooktop include one large triple-ringed burner with roughly 12,000 BTUs; a rapid, 10,000 BTU burner that heats up quickly – perfect for boiling water and for other fast tasks; 2 semi-rapid burners with about 6,000 BTUs; and an auxiliary burner that is perfect for keeping dishes warm until the rest of the meal is ready to be served.
The Empava 34″ Built-in Stove Top Gas Cooktop offers you the flexibility you need to make all your favorite dishes with the precision and flair of a European chef. The recessed cooktop burners provide an easy space for balancing multiple pots as you cook, while the bridge burner fits everything from multiple small sauce pans to oversized griddles or grill adapters.
- Value – We think that the Empava 34″ Built-in Stove Top Gas Cooktop gives you a lot of value for your money.
- Five burners – Unlike most cooktops, which have a maximum of 4 burners, sometimes less, the Empava 34″ Built-in Stove Top Gas Cooktop offers five burners that can all be used simultaneously.
- Roomy – At 34 inches, this cooktop has plenty of room to cook all of your favorite dishes.
- Unusual – The European gas burners look and operate a little differently than those burners made in the U.S., which may confuse some people initially.
- Extra Parts May Be Needed – The ½ inch connection on the Empava cooktop is not national pipe thread. Thus, customers will need to purchase a European pipe thread fitting to make this unit work in the U.S.
3. GE 30-Inch Black Electric Smoothtop Cooktop (JP3030DJBB)
The GE 30-Inch Black Electric Smoothtop Cooktop is the perfect addition to any kitchen. Modern in every sense of the word, the Cooktop boasts a sleek, smooth design that fits effortlessly over any standard range or oven. The Cooktop features four burners – 2 6-inch 1200 watt burners for smaller pots and pans, and 2 8-inch 2500 watt Power Boil elements for larger frying pans and Dutch ovens. The two power boil elements allow you to heat up any dish quickly and efficiently, and the hot surface indicator lights are designed to prevent kitchen accidents and keep you safe while cooking.
The GE 30-Inch Black Electric Smoothtop Cooktop has a number of unique settings that allow you do more than just cook on the unit. The melt setting is perfect for slowly melting cheeses, chocolates and more without burning or scorching them in the process; and the “Keep-Warm setting enables you to keep all of your pre-prepared side dishes hot and tasty while you are preparing the rest of the meal. The Cooktop is made of smooth ceramic glass, which makes cleaning the unit an absolute breeze; and the intuitive control lock prevents the unit from accidentally turning on while also preventing any unsupervised use by children.
If you are looking for an electric Cooktop that looks just as good as it operates, it’s hard to beat the GE 30-Inch Black Electric Smoothtop Cooktop.
- Hot Indicator Lights – The hot indicator lights on the GE 30-Inch Black Electric Smoothtop Cooktop lets you know the unit is turned on and shows you which burners are hot to prevent accidents.
- Aesthetically–Pleasing – The smooth, all-black design of this Cooktop looks very modern and will blend in effortlessly in any kitchen.
- Settings – The “Melt” and Keep-Warm” settings allow you a lot of versatility in the kitchen.
- Heats Up Slowly – According to some users, the burners on the GE 30-Inch Black Electric Smoothtop Cooktop take a good while to heat up to their maximum temperature.
Gas and Electric Cooktops: Buyer’s Guide
Are you in the market for a gas or electric cooktop? If so, check out some of the things you should look for when buying one of these units.
Cooktops come in a variety of colors, from the modern all-black cooktops, to stainless steel to every other color under the rainbow. Thus, when considering buying a new cooktop, try to look for one that matches your kitchen’s color scheme.
Number of Burners
From the small cooktops with one or two burners, to those with four, five or even more burners, there is a wide range of options out there. Naturally, the number of burners you elect to go with should be dependent on your cooking needs. Just remember that more burners usually mean more money.
User-Friendly Control Knobs
A cooktop with user-friendly knobs – one that is easy and hassle-free to use – will simply get used more often. Look for those cooktops in which the knobs are easy to access and out of the way from the cooking surface area.
Heat Indicator Lights
Heat indicator lights apply mostly to electric cooktops. These lights not only tell you that the unit is turned on, they show which burner is hot. This can help prevent some unfortunate and often tragic kitchen accidents.
Automatic Shut Off
The modern cooktops that include an automatic shut off function will automatically turn off when the unit detects a spill or boil over, or when a pot or pan is not on the burner. This is one of the safest features a cooktop can have.
The child lock prevents small children from accidentally or purposefully turning on one or more of the burners. This is a must if you have small children underfoot in the kitchen.
Just set the timer and go. This feature is great when cooking stews or other large dishes, or when you want to be precise when cooking steaks and other meats.
Precise temperature controls allow you to do more with your cooktop, such as melting cheeses without scorching them or keeping a dish warm that has already been cooked.
By considering all of these features and functions – and your approximate budget – you are sure to get a convenient gas or electric cooktop that matches your preferences and cooking style.