Looking to turn leaves, branches and other lawn and garden waste into a chipped and shredded pile that is easy to discard or use as mulch? If so, you may want to consider purchasing an electric wood chipper.
To help you with this—and to help you find just the right product for your particular needs—below we have reviewed several of the most well-loved and best selling electric wood chippers on the market today, and highlighted the pros and cons associated with each product. We have also included an Electric Wood Chipper Buying Guide, in which we will cover, in detail, some of the things you should look for when buying one of these versatile lawn and garden care items.
- Best Electric Wood Chippers for the Money (2018)
- Patriot CSV-2515 14-Amp Electric Wood Chipper
- LawnMaster FD1501 Electric Wood Chipper
- Sun Joe CJ602E 15 Amp Electric Wood Chipper
- Electric Wood Chipper Buying Guide
Best Electric Wood Chippers for the Money (2018)
Last update on 2018-12-10 at 06:40 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
Patriot CSV-2515 14-Amp Electric Wood Chipper
Boasting 14 amps of electric power, the Patriot CSV-2515 14-Amp Electric Wood Chipper is the perfect machine for any yard thanks to it amazing versatility. With its tilt down hopper, users can easily rake mountains of leaves into the Patriot chipper and reduce them into just one or two bags of converted mulch. This chipper is also very effective against larger yard material, boasting the capability to create coin sized wood chips from branches up to 2.5 inches in diameter—chips that can then be disposed, used for kindling or mulch, or used to decorate a garden area. This 2.5 inch branch capacity makes it one of the most powerful electric wood chippers on the market today.
Everything that enters the hopper of the Patriot CSV-2515 14-Amp Electric Wood Chipper is pulverized and gets discharged out of the side of the unit and neatly into the included collection bag. Requiring very little maintenance over its life cycle, this quiet and smooth-running machine starts with just a simple flip of the on/off switch. It weighs just 95 pounds and includes two large wheels with which to conveniently transport the unit around your yard.
- High Capacity. With the ability to take on branches up to 2.5 inches in diameter, the Patriot CSV-2515 14-Amp Electric Wood Chipper has one of the largest capacities on the market.
- Lightweight. Weighing just 95 pounds, the unit weighs just a fraction of what gasoline powered wood chippers weigh.
- Portable. Thanks to the two large wheels at the rear of this electric wood chipper, it is very portable and easy to move.
- Highly rated. The Patriot CSV-2515 14-Amp Electric Wood Chipper was rated a “Best Buy” by Consumer Digest Magazine.
- Premium Priced. Given its premium price, the Patriot CSV-2515 14-Amp Electric Wood Chipper may not be the best electric wood chipper for the budget conscious consumer.
- Bag collection instead of tub. The electric wood chipper discharges the shredded debris into a collection bag rather than a tub, which is more convenient for those who want to mulch.
LawnMaster FD1501 Electric Wood Chipper
The LawnMaster FD1501 Electric Wood Chipper features a very powerful 15 amp motor and its electric operation makes it much safer for the environment when compared to the traditional gas-powered wood chipper. The machine has a 10:1 reduction ratio, meaning it is able to turn 10 bags of lawn debris (leaves, twigs, branches) into one manageable bag of easy to use mulch. The unit has eight inch wheels for easy mobility and portability and includes a side discharge area onto which a collection bag of some kind can be attached.
The LawnMaster FD1501 Electric Wood Chipper can chip branches up to 1.5 inches in diameter—a little larger for soft woods like pine and spruce, a little smaller for hard woods like oak and beach—and can easily handle things like leaves, grass clippings and other small yard debris. The unit boasts an automatic shutoff function for user safety and is one of the most budget-friendly chippers of its kind.
- Very portable. With larger than average 8-inch wheels that allow it to cover more ground, the LawnMaster FD1501 Electric Wood Chipper is very portable and easy to move about the yard.
- Powerful motor. At 15 amps, this electric wood chipper is one of the most powerful in its class.
- Collection Bag Included. The LawnMaster FD1501 Electric Wood Chipper comes with a standard sized collection bag for reusing mulch and shredded material.
- Low Capacity. The LawnMaster FD1501 Electric Wood Chipper can only cut branches up to 1.5 inches in diameter (compared to 2.5 inches with similar chippers), even smaller when dealing with hard woods.
- Only a 10:1 Ratio. Some electric wood chippers have a reduction ratio of 16:1 or 17:1, while the LawnMaster FD1501 Electric Wood Chipper only has a ratio of 10:1.
Sun Joe CJ602E 15 Amp Electric Wood Chipper
Perfect for transforming leaves, branches, twigs and other lawn and garden debris into nutrient-rich mulch, the Sun Joe CJ602E 15 Amp Electric Wood Chipper is a wonderful tool to have around the house. The unit boasts a powerful 15 amp motor that allows it to chip branches up to 1.5 inches in diameter into tiny little pieces. Its compact design and rear six-inch wheels makes it very portable and easy to store, and the safety hopper, with a locking knob to prevent the motor from running when opened, greatly protects the user.
Generating speeds up to 4300 revolutions per minute, the vortex action of this chipper/shredder can turn all of your yard waste into a neat little pile that is easy to discard or reuse in your garden. The Sun Joe CJ602E 15 Amp Electric Wood Chipper comes with a full, no-questions-asked two year warranty, and is safety approved by ETL.
- Great motor. With its powerful and inventive 15 amp motor, the Sun Joe CJ602E 15 Amp Electric Wood Chipper generates more than enough chipping and shredding capability for small garden waste and debris.
- Safety Conscious. The electric wood chipper has a safety hopper that protects the user when the motor is in operation.
- Easy to maintain. With fewer moving parts than a gasoline-powered wood chipper, the Sun Joe CJ602E 15 Amp Electric Wood Chipper is extremely easy to clean and maintain.
- Slow feeding. According to a number of users, the Sun Joe CJ602E 15 Amp Electric Wood Chipper is associated with slow feeding of larger branches and twigs.
- Limited capacity. Like the previous product, the Sun Joe CJ602E 15 Amp Electric Wood Chipper can only handle branches up to 1.5 inches in diameter.
Electric Wood Chipper Buying Guide
When setting out to purchase an electric wood chipper there are several factors you will want to consider, beginning with the size and type of your landscape and yard and the type of chipping and debris cleaning you need to do—or will eventually need to do. Here are some of the other factors you will need to consider when purchasing one of these products for your home:
Generally speaking, the number of amps a given electric wood chipper can produce will determine its power. Most of these products fall between the 13 amp to 16 amp range—and the higher the amps, the more power it typically has.
Capacity—What Can It Chip?
Electric wood chippers, also known as electric shredders or electric chipper shredders, are NOT all designed to handle large branches or tree limbs. Some electric wood chippers are only rated for shredding and mulching things like leaves, grass clippings and pine needles. Others electric wood chippers can handle branches up to 2 or 2.5 inches in diameter. Unfortunately, no electric wood chipper is as powerful as a gasoline-powered wood chipper, which can often handle branches up to 5 inches in diameter.
Electric wood chipper manufacturers typically include the “reduction ratio” of their product right on the box. Expressed in terms like 10:1 or 16:1, this ratio defines how many bags of branches, leaves and other yard debris can be chipped or shredded into a single bag of processed material.
Look for an electric wood chipper with one touch starting for best results (most have this feature). These will save you a lot of time and effort over the life of your new product.
Some electric wood chippers come complete with a tow bar or trailer hitch. This allows you to use a lawn tractor or ATV of some type to tow your chipper to various areas of your yard or acreage—or to other properties to work.
Tilt Down Hopper
With most electric wood chippers you have to pick up the branches and debris you plan to chip or shred and place them into the hopper. However, with a tilt down hopper, you can actually rake the debris right into the hopper to be chipped and shredded and then emptied into the collection bag. This is a great feature that will save a lot of time and protect your back from potential injury.
Having to remove the blades on your electric wood chipper and sharpen them manually can be a laborious and time-consuming process. Self-sharpening blades can eliminate this task completely and greatly simplify the maintenance on your new product.
Use the following Buying Guide when you need to go out and purchase your next electric wood chipper. By doing so, you’ll be able to ask just the right questions that are necessary for finding the perfect chipper that meets your needs and preferences.