Have you ever wished you could make sparkling water, juice, and soda from home? Well, now you can with these amazing carbonation machines that can transform regular water (and other beverages) into your own fizzy and refreshing concoctions in just a matter of seconds. These soda machines, which rely on compacted CO2 for making their delicious creations, have become very popular in recent years, enabling people to save tons of money on high-fructose and unhealthy sodas.
Best Home Soda Carbonation Machines for the Money (2018)
Last update on 2023-01-31 at 09:13 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
To help you purchase your very own carbonation machine, below we have reviewed several of these soda-making products, and provided some of the benefits and drawbacks associated with each machine. We have also included an informative Buyer’s Guide that will show you exactly what to look for when shopping for one of these carbonators.
1. SodaStream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker Starter Kit
Boasting some amazing state-of-the-art features and top ratings from more than a few reviewers in the know, the SodaStream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker is one of the best home carbonation machines on the market today. The product, which has a sleek design that will make it look great in any kitchen, can transform everyday tap water into almost any fizzy carbonated drink of your choosing—and do it in just a matter of seconds. With this machine, you can forever say goodbye to store-bought sparkling water and pricey sodas filled with high-fructose corn syrup, and opt instead for a healthy and affordable way to quench your thirst.
- Make fresh sparkling water at the push of a button
- Includes: Sparkling Water Maker, 60L CO2 cylinder, and 1 Liter BPA-free reusable carbonating bottle
- Energy efficient, powered by CO2 cylinder. Each cylinder carbonates up to 60 liters of water
- Compatible with all SodaStream flavors and SodaStream 1L Classic carbonation bottles (BPA free and better for the planet)
Last update on 2023-01-31 at 13:30 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
The SodaStream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker Starter Kit comes with everything you need to start making delicious sodas from the comfort of your own kitchen, including the patented SodaStream Fountain, a reusable liter-size bottle, a small CO2 canister and a 6-pack of popular flavors designed to make 1 liter of soda each. Once the small starter cylinder of CO2 runs out, there are over 15,000 retail outlets where you can purchase the larger replacement cylinder, which make up to 60 liters of delicious soda. There you can also select from over 66 terrific flavors offered by SodaStream, allowing you to get very creative with your soda making.
If portability is important to you, rest assured this is the perfect model. The SodaStream Fountain Jet requires no batteries or electricity. All of the fizz-making power is supplied by the CO2 canister. The product also allows you to “fizz as you like.” When using the machine, the carbonation levels are represented by the whistle sounds you’ll hear during the process, allowing you to both see and hear how much your drink is being fizzed. When the machine has completed the carbonation process, simply unscrew the bottle and enjoy.
- Comprehensive. The SodaStream Fountain Jet starter kit comes with everything you need to make delicious soda right out of the box, including a mini CO2 canister and 6 tasty flavors.
- Replacements/Refills Easy to Find. New CO2 canisters and flavors can be purchased at over 15,000 different retailers across the country.
- Self-Powered. Requires no batteries or electricity.
- Must Hold down Button. With the SodaStream Fountain Jet users must hold down the button throughout the soda-making process.
- Pricey. Retailing for more than we expected, this is one of the pricier carbonators on our list.
- Limited Colors. The SodaStream Fountain Jet is only available in a couple of colors.
2. Soda Sparkle Sparkling Water Soda Machine
The most affordable carbonator/soda maker on our list, the Soda Sparkle Sparkling Water Soda Machine boasts a small and compact design that makes it very portable and easy to store. The machine’s fizz making ability is powered by small, fully-recyclable, single use CO2 chargers, meaning you will never have to refill the chargers. People who use the Soda Sparkle Sparkling Water Soda Machine can make a wide variety of tasty beverages, including refreshing sparkling water, delicious sodas and even alcoholic creations with a little fizz.
Last update on 2023-01-31 at 09:13 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
The Starter Kit featured here comes with everything you need to make sparkling water at home. This includes the Soda Sparkle Machine—colored in black—5 single-use chargers that can make up to 1 liter of sparkling water each, and a reusable 1 liter bottle with screw top. Additional chargers can be bought separately by the case (24). All you need to do is fill the 1-liter bottle with regular tap water, insert the CO2 charger into the machine, turn the top and watch the process begin. In just a matter of seconds that flat and tasteless tap water will be transformed into a deliciously refreshing jug of sparkling soda water. And for soda, merely add in one of the flavors and you can make almost any type of beverage you desire.
Sparkling water and soda can cost an arm and a leg in the store, but with this one-time purchase you can forever say goodbye to purchasing and lugging these expensive products home.
- Compact. The Soda Sparkle Sparkling Water Soda Machine is the smallest and most compact soda-making machine on our list, making it easy to store and take with you to parties, etc.
- Great Value. Available for a low price, this soda-making starter kit is the most affordable product featured here.
- CO2 Chargers vs. Cylinders. Because the Soda Sparkle Sparkling Water Soda Machine relies on single-use CO2 chargers rather than a larger cylinder, users will always have to replace it every time they want to make soda or sparkling water.
- No Flavors Included. The starter kit featured here does not come with any flavors to make flavored soda—those have to be purchased separately.
- Only 5 CO2 chargers Included. Because the machine comes with just 5 single-use chargers, the maximum amount of soda water you can make before having to buy additional supplies is 5 liters.
3. DrinkMate Carbonated Soda Maker
The DrinkMate Carbonated Soda Maker is a very highly-ranked carbonator/soda maker with lots of features you are sure to love. The product comes complete with the soda maker and a 3-ounce starter CO2 carbonator; however, it does not come with any additional flavors for making soda. This may not, though, discourage customers, because the DrinkMate Carbonated Soda Maker is one of the only soda makers of its kind that has the ability to carbonate any beverage, not just water. Users can take their favorite juices, for example, and add a bit of fizz and carbonation for a fresh summertime drink, or even add carbonation to their favorite wine to create a wine-spritzer with lots of bubbles. Of course, the other option is they can simply use the machine to make sparkling water.
- CARBONATES ANY DRINK, NOT JUST WATER - Enjoy the sensation of sparkling water, juices, wine, cocktails, and even flat soda or beer. The Drinkmate carbonate anything soda maker puts you in control with the push of a button.
- INCLUDES: the Drinkmate OmniFizz machine, 1 BPA-free 1 Liter reusable carbonating bottle, 10L (3 oz) CO2 test cylinder, and Fizz Infuser
- DRINK HEALTHIER AND REDUCE PLASTIC BOTTLE WASTE - With the Drinkmate carbonator machine, you can avoid excess sugar and harmful chemicals while staying hydrated. Plus help the environment by carbonating drinks at home.
- SAFE, QUICK AND EASY TO OPERATE - Our patented Fizz Infuser technology makes it safe and simple to use. No electricity or batteries required. Clean parts by hand washing only.
- POWERED BY FOOD GRADE CO2 GAS: Comes with starter 3 oz CO2 cylinder. All brands of standard 60L CO2 threaded cartridges in North America work with Drinkmate (including SodaStream blue label and Soda Sense). Exchange empty cylinders for full ones and save with Drinkmate's convenient online exchange program.
Last update on 2023-01-31 at 00:43 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
The DrinkMate Carbonated Soda Maker features a patented Fizz Infuser that can change the carbonation level of the drink depending on the number of times the carbonation button is pressed. Users do not have to constantly hold down the button, as they do on other machines in this class.
All in all, despite its high price point the DrinkMate Carbonated Soda Maker is a sleek, good-looking and very functional soda making machine.
- Can Carbonate Any Drink. The DrinkMate Carbonated Soda Maker allows you to carbonate more than water, including juices and alcoholic drinks.
- Adjustable Fizz Levels. Users can control the amount of fizz in their drink just by changing the amount of times they hit the button.
- Aesthetically Pleasing. The DrinkMate Carbonated Soda Maker will look great on your kitchen counter.
- No Flavors Included. If you want to create your own concoction by adding flavors to the soda water you will have to buy those flavors separately.
- High Price Point. At a mid-level cost, this product has a high price point for what’s in the box (only a starter CO2 canister, no flavors, etc.)
- Bubbles? Some users complained that the DrinkMate Carbonated Soda Maker does not provide enough fizz or bubbles for their liking.
Carbonation Machines: Buying Guide
With so many different types and models of carbonation machines on the market today, it can often be difficult to find the one that is perfect for you. To assist you with this, below we have pointed out a few of the things you should look for when shopping.
Let’s face it, without CO2 the carbonation process would not be possible. However, different machines use different types of carbonation methods. Some come with refillable CO2 canisters, while others come with single-use CO2 chargers. Naturally, refillable CO2 canisters are a bit more affordable, but they can also present a risk if they are overcharged.
All Soda Making machines use a bottle in which the liquid is carbonated and then stored for drinking. You should always look for a product that uses a safe glass bottle, or at the very least, a BPA-free, reusable plastic bottle. This will ensure you and your guests are not ingesting harmful chemicals. Keep in mind that most plastic bottles also have a maximum time frame (1-2 years) in which they are safe to use. Glass can be used forever.
What Is Included?
Not all soda making machines are ready to use out of the box. Some do not include the CO2 canister or charger, while others include a starter CO2 canister, but no flavors. If you want to be able to make tasty soda from day one, make sure your kit includes, at minimum, all of the following: the soda-making machine, the CO2 delivery system, the bottle, and several flavors from which to choose.
When you see the word “capacity” on a carbonator, understand that this is referring to the amount of soda it makes and not the number of uses. Make sure you check this figure carefully to see if you are getting the most for your money.
As you learned from the three examples above, some carbonators are approved for use with water only—to which you can add flavoring—while others can be used with any liquid, including juices and alcoholic beverages. Therefore, it is crucial you decide how you want to use your carbonator before making a purchase.
With the help of this Buying Guide you should now be able to find just the right carbonator for your preferences, one that offers safety and convenience in addition to great-tasting beverages.