When the weather gets warmer and the days stretch a bit longer, people across the United States collectively knock the dust off their backyard BBQs and prepare for another pleasant season of outdoor grilling. And what is better on those hot summer evenings than a juicy, perfectly cooked burger—burgers that were uniformly pressed, shaped and even stuffed using one of these affordable and versatile burger presses.
In the following article we have highlighted and reviewed some of the best selling and most well-loved burger presses currently on the market, and included some of the most positive and negative aspects of each product. We have also included a Burger Press Buying Guide in which we have outlined some of the factors, characteristics and questions you should consider when shopping for/purchasing one of these very useful kitchen items.
Best Burger Press For Grilling Hamburgers At Home (2018)
|Shape+Store Burger Master 8-in-1 Innovative Burger Press, 8-Patty, Red||$25.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Weston Burger Express Hamburger Press with Patty Ejector (07-0310-W), Makes 4 1/2" Patties, 1/4lb to...||$16.99 $14.40||Buy on Amazon|
|Weber 6483 Original Burger Press||$12.99 $10.99||Buy on Amazon|
Last update on 2019-09-18 at 08:53 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
Shape + Store Burger Master 8-1 Innovative Burger Press
Having a big party or family get-together? Need to shape and refrigerate multiple burgers at once? If so, the Shape + Store Burger Master 8-1 Innovative Burger Press may be the perfect burger press for you. This awesome product gives you the opportunity to press and stuff up to 8 quarter-pound burger patties at a time—even larger burgers if you prefer. Made from protective plastic, the burgers formed by this burger press can be popped directly into the freezer, and the tight and convenient lids seal each burger patty individually to prevent freezer burn and keep the patties from sticking together—a major problem with some other burger presses on the market.
Shape + Store Burger Master 8-1 Innovative Burger Presses can be stacked one on top of the other for easy storage and freezing, and they can even be stored in an ice chest for camping, picnics and other outdoor events. All of these 8 in 1 burger presses are 100 percent dishwasher safe; and the spring plunger makes it super easy to remove the patties without breakage—frozen and thawed burger patties alike. The finished patties using this press measure 4.5 inches across and the adjustable thickness function—one-quarter inch to one-half inch—allows you to make just the right size burger for every member of the family.
- Makes up to 8 patties. One of the larger products of its kind, the Shape + Store Burger Master 8-1 Innovative Burger Press makes up to 8 patties at once, making it perfect for large families and get-togethers.
- Stackable. These burger presses are easily stackable and have individual lids to prevent freezer burn.
- Dishwasher safe. The Shape + Store Burger Master 8-1 Innovative Burger Press is 100 percent dishwasher safe and super easy to clean.
- Cannot overload press. When the Shape + Store Burger Master 8-1 Innovative Burger Press is overloaded, the patties can and will stick together.
- Smaller patties. Although the burger press can make multiple patties at once, the burgers tend to turn out somewhat small for some appetites—much smaller than those created with similar products on the market.
Weston Non-Stick Single Hamburger Press
When you want to make a perfectly-sized burger patty, no product is better than the Weston Non-Stick Single Hamburger Press. Made from high grade non-stick aluminum, the heavy-duty burger press is very easy to wipe clean, and the included patty paper allows you to stack several pre-made patties without worrying about the burgers sticking together. The one-of-a-kind spring plunger helps to compact the burgers very tightly, and then it pops back when you’re ready to remove the patties, making ejecting the burger from the press a breeze. The deep 4.5 inch pocket of the press makes it perfect for making a wide range of items, such as stuffed burgers, sausage patties and even delectable crab cakes.
The Weston Non-Stick Single Hamburger Press enables you to quickly transform a pile of ground beef, ground turkey, sausage, etc. into 4.5 inch diameter patties—patties that can range in thickness from 1.5 inches to just more than 4 inches. Saving you oodles of time at your next outdoor BBQ, this is definitely a product that should be in every kitchen.
- Durable construction. Made from high-grade aluminum, the Weston Non-Stick Single Hamburger Press is one of the most durable products of its kind on the market today.
- Large patties. The deep-set compartment of the burger press allows you to make very large/thick patties and other treats like sausage patties and crab cakes.
- Easy cleaning. The non-stick aluminum design of the Weston Non-Stick Single Hamburger Press makes cleanup a snap.
- Needs lots of care. The metal construction of the Weston Non-Stick Single Hamburger Press means the press can corrode if not properly dried and cared for after use.
- Lopsided patties. Some reviewers have complained that the Weston Non-Stick Single Hamburger Press has an uneven plunger plate, which can sometimes lead to lopsided patties.
Weber 6483 Original Burger Press
When the goal is to create flat, perfectly-sized burgers each and every time, the Weber 6483 Original Burger Press has definitely got you covered. Designed to make one-quarter pound or half pound burger patties, this wonderful kitchen gadget can be customized to fit every appetite in your family our group. When the ground beef is pressed, the burger press places a dimple in the middle of the burger, which leads to even, one-flip cooking on the grill or stove without burning the outside edges of the burger. The detachable handle on the Weber Burger Press makes for easy cleaning of the press, and the nylon grip on that handle makes it very easy to hold.
The Weber 6483 Original Burger Press has a non-stick coating and a convenient plunger, which helps eject the burger after it has been perfectly formed or stuffed. The ribbed design of the press creates grill lines that make even pan-cooked or oven-cooked burgers appear as if they’ve been seared on an outdoor grill. One of the more budget friendly offerings on our list of products, the Weber 6483 Original Burger Press is a convenience item that can save you a lot of prep time in the long run.
- Durable, lightweight construction. The aluminum design or construction of the Weber 6483 Original Burger Press makes it just as durable and long lasting as steel yet very lightweight for easy portability.
- Ribbed design. The ribbed design on the burger press—one of its more attractive features—creates perfect grill marks that will impress all of your guests.
- Comfortable grip. The comfortable nylon-based grip on the Weber 6483 Original Burger Press is non-slip and detachable for easy cleanup of the burger press.
- Patties can stick to the press. According to a good number of reviewers, the Weber 6483 Original Burger Press has problems with the burgers sticking to the press.
- Corrosion possible. As with the last product we reviewed, the Weber 6483 Original Burger Press has an aluminum construction that requires proper care and thorough drying after use to avoid corrosion over time.
Our Burger Press Buying Guide
Although the burger press is a fairly simple and straightforward piece of equipment, there are a few key factors you should consider when purchasing one of these items. Below we have highlighted just some of those factors.
When we talk about the size of the burger press, we want you to consider two basic measurements: the diameter of the patties the burger press can create and the depth of the burger press, which will dictate how thick the burger can be made. The standard diameter size for most burger presses available today is 4 inches—the same size you are likely to see in the supermarket. These 4-inch burger presses often yield burgers that are anywhere from one-half inch to 1.5 inches in thickness.
If you look hard enough, however, there are also larger and smaller burger presses readily available.
The material used to make the burger press, which will also the dictate the weight of the gadget, is an important concern. Today, most burger presses are made from one of three materials: plastic, aluminum or steel. Each of these materials have certain advantages and drawbacks. Here is just a snapshot of what you can expect from each material:
- Plastic. Plastic burger presses offer many advantages. They are, predictably, more budget friendly than those made of steel or aluminum; simple to clean; and they store easily due to their lightweight construction. Also, patties tend to stick less to plastic than they do to other materials. Plastic is not very durable, however, which means you might have to buy several of these over your lifetime as opposed to just one burger press made from metal-based materials.
- Aluminum/Steel. Steel and aluminum burger presses offer many of the same advantages. First, they are both very durable and long lasting, although more so for steel than aluminum. Steel burger presses are bulky, heavy and not very portable, which is why you will most often see these types of presses in restaurants; while aluminum is very lightweight. Both presses have to be thoroughly dried and properly cared for so as to avoid rust/corrosion; and both have problems with the meat sticking to the press. To avoid this, many manufacturers have begun adding a non-stick coating to their metal burger presses.
Storage and Cleaning
When possible, we recommend you select a burger press that is very easy to clean and store. Many of these products, especially the plastic burger presses, are dishwasher safe, which is a great bonus. Keep in mind it is extremely important that these items are cleaned thoroughly after each and every use to avoid food-borne pathogens. As mentioned, metal-based burger presses must be thoroughly dried to avoid corrosion, and because of their bulkiness they can often be difficult to store.
Burger presses are available with a lot of cool features. Some allow you to make two or more patties simultaneously, which can be a huge time saver. Others include a spring-loaded plunger that makes it easy to eject the burger patties from the press. Some other truly unique features include burger presses that make a dimple in the burger, which offers even cooking without burning; those that produce grill lines in the patty; and those that can go right into the refrigerator or freezer. Lastly, if you’re looking to make stuffed burgers—a fad that is all the rage right now—be sure to look for a burger press that is set up for that function.
Now that you know what to look for, you can heat up that George Foreman grill or get that outdoor gas grill ready for burgers!