Beer is one of the most popular and fervently-enjoyed beverages in the world.
Each year, thousands of festivals around the globe are held to celebrate this semi-potent libation, with names like Oktoberfest, Juicy Brews and the Great American Beer Festival. Yes, craft beers have now taken the world by storm, with an unprecedented number of small craft breweries being established in just the last decade.
Most of these burgeoning operations started in the simple homes and garages of people just like you, and now you, too, can try your hand at home brewing with any number of do-it-yourself kits aimed at helping you become a master brewer.
In the following article we have reviewed several of these home beer making kits, and highlighted some of the pros and cons associated with each of these best-selling products.
Best Home Brewing Kits for Beginners (2018)
No products found.
No products found.
We have also included a “Home Brewing Kit Buyer’s Guide” detailing some of the features and characteristics you should commit to memory before setting out to purchase one of these fun brew-at-home kits.
Mr. Beer Premium Gold Edition Complete Home Brewing Kit
Have you always dreamed of making your own beer from the comfort and familiar surroundings of your own home? If so, the built-for-home equipment from Mr. Beer, coupled with all the high quality ingredients included in the kit, can turn you into a brewing expert in just a matter of days, helping you to create your favorite American Light Beer, Oktoberfest Lager or Czech-style Pilsner Beer.
So what does the Mr. Beer Premium Gold Edition Complete Home Brewing Kit contain? Let’s take a look:
- Fermenter – Made with professional brew equipment in mind, the 1-step brewing fermenter includes a trub collector and raised spigot for easy access, making it unnecessary to transfer your product to a second fermenter.
- Brewing Extract – The concentrated can of brewing extract includes all the natural malted barley and hops you need to complete the process.
- Bottles – The kit contains 11 25-ounce beer bottles that are perfect for carbonating beer. All bottles are reusable and guaranteed not to shatter under normal force.
The Mr. Beer Premium Gold Edition Complete Home Brewing Kit also includes carbonation drops to make the beer carbonated and a no-rinse cleanser for sanitizing the bottles and equipment. Instead of the 2 gallons of beer you can make with the standard Mr. Beer Brew Kit, this Gold Edition allows you to make 2 additional gallons for the same price—a 100 percent value.
- More for the Money. The Gold Edition from Mr. Beer allows you to make double the amount of beer for the same price—4 gallons instead of 2.
- Three Different Varieties. Brewers can choose from three different beers: American Light Beer, Czech Pilsner and Oktoberfest Lager
- Terrific Value. Home brewers can make up to 4 gallons of beer with this kit, making it the best value on our list
- Reports of leaking around the spigot.
- Some ingredients may be close to expiring/their expiration date.
Brooklyn Brew Shop Everyday IPA Beer Making Kit
If IPAs, also known as India Pale Ales, are your beer of choice, you are going to love the Brooklyn Brew Shop Everyday IPA Beer Making Kit.
Perfect for beginners, this kit makes beer making easy thanks to the easy-to-follow instructional manual and informative videos that take you step-by-step through the process.
The Brooklyn Brew Shop Kit relies on only the best season-appropriate ingredients in making the perfect brew. Inspired by best-selling authors who are also acclaimed brew masters, the kit makes it simple to create tasty IPA beer using only the kit and the appliances in an everyday kitchen.
The Brooklyn Brew Shop Everyday IPA Beer Making Kit includes everything you need to brew beer at home, including the finest grains, hops and yeast; a large, one-gallon, multi-use fermenter; an accurate glass thermometer; the patented Brooklyn Brew Shop cleanser; vinyl tubing and a racking cane + tip; a chambered airlock and a convenient screw-top stopper.
The Brooklyn Brew Shop Everyday IPA Beer Making Kit includes step-by-step instructions for making up to a gallon of beer—a brew that measures 6.8 percent by volume that would fill roughly 8-10 12 ounce bottles. The end product is a fragrant grapefruit-inspired brew with lots of hops and a tremendous flavor
- Great Instruction. The instructional materials include both written instructions and a video that allows home brewers to see the process in action.
- IPA Beer. This is one of the only brew kits designed to make delicious IPA beer.
- Great price. We think that this is the most affordable home brewing kit available.
- Thermometer. The glass thermometer makes for very accurate temperature readings.
- It does not include bottles, a strainer, funnel, or pot.
- Only makes 1 gallon of beer, unlike 2-4 with some of the other products on our list.
Brew Demon Signature Beer Kit
The Brew Demon Signature Beer Kit is billed as the world’s first and only 2-gallon conical fermenting system you can do at home.
In just 14 days—two short weeks—buyers of this product can be enjoying their very own creation—a world-class malt brew with an alcohol content of 4.6 percent by volume.
All of the brew-making equipment in the Brew Demon Signature Beer Kit is completely reusable.
The kit includes:
- an adjustable spigot for easy access
- a convenient stick-on temperature gauge for monitoring the heat of your brew
- a venting plug; the kit’s popular “Signature Recipe Dry Brewing Yeast”
- a one-step, no-rinse cleanser to ensure proper sanitization
- 8 reusable plastic amber-colored bottles measuring one liter in volume
- the same number of caps and labels
- a bottle filler and hose
- a heat-tolerant plastic mixing spoon
- some of the easiest-to-follow instructions in the industry
Using just the included ingredients and accessories, in 14 days you will have two gallons of your very own brew to share with neighbors, friends and loved ones—a classic brew that will make you feel like a professional brew master without ever having to leave your kitchen.
- Plenty of Accessories. The Brew Demon kit contains many more accessories than most kits.
- Quality Equipment. The containers needed to complete the brewing process are very well-made.
- Makes 2 Gallons. Makes 2-gallons of beer.
- Pricey. Based on MSRP, this kit is the most expensive beer-making kit on our list.
- Poor Instructions. Some users complain that the instructions that come with this kit can be difficult to follow.
Home Beer Making Kits: Buyer’s Guide
Although you might suppose that all beer making kits are alike, nothing could be further from the truth. Different beer making kits focus on the brewing of different kinds of beer, and some are designed to make more beer than others in terms of volume. Most kits have at least some of the equipment you will need for the process, but in some cases you may still need to buy other supplies to complete your home-based brew. To help you get a better idea regarding these kits and what they typically contain, below we have pointed out several things to look for before making a final purchasing decision.
Type of Beer
Do you prefer American-style light beer, Pilsners, IPAs or darker lagers? Different kits are designed to make different types of beer, so it is very important that you look for this detail when shopping for beer-making kits. If you are undecided, some kits allow you to make different types of beer samples until you ultimately settle on your favorite.
The Amount of Beer Included
From 1 gallon all the way up to 4 gallons or more. This is the amount of beer you will be able to make depending on the kit you buy. Do not be fooled by lower prices, as these kits may only allow you to make a quarter of the beer allowed through other kits.
Most of the beer-making kits come with the main structure used in the brewing process: the fermenter. However, the quality of the fermenter can vary depending on the kit you buy and the purchase price. Also, make sure you buy a reusable fermenter with a raised spigot for easy access.
After you have completed the brew process, you will undoubtedly want to bottle your creation to share with friends and loved ones. However, not all beer-making kits come with the bottles you will need to do this. Thus, be sure to get a kit with an ample number of reusable bottles for sharing your new found skill.
Although most of the beer-making kits currently available come with written directions on how to navigate the fermentation and brewing processes, some directions are better and easier to follow than others. The best instructions are those that include a step-by-step illustrated guide or, even better, an accompanying video presentation so you can see the process as it unfolds in real time.
When reading the ingredients on your beer-making kit, be sure to look for items like yeast, which is central to the fermentation process, malt, hops, barley or other grains.
Some kits only include the very basic essentials for brewing your own beer at home, leaving you to go out and buy the rest of the supplies separately. A quality kit will have everything you need to complete the process from start to finish.
Price is always something to look for when buying a beer-making kit. Thus, when comparing prices, keep a close eye on some of the extras that come included in the higher-priced kits. If these extras are things you could do without, you may be able to get away with a more affordable kit.