Are you in the market for a high-quality hair clippers for use at home? If so, the following article may prove very helpful.
Here we have reviewed several of the most popular and best-selling barber quality hair clippers on the market today, and highlighted the advantages and drawbacks of each product.We have also included a Hair Clippers Buying Guide, in which we will discuss the various factors you should consider when shopping for your next barber quality hair clipper.
What are the best hair clippers for home hair cuts?
Last update on 2023-01-30 at 21:33 / Affiliate disclaimer / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
Oster Fast Feed Adjustable Pivot Motor Hair Clipper
The Oster Fast Feed Adjustable Pivot Motor Hair Clipper is one of the most popular and hottest-selling of its kind, thanks largely to the 12-amp pivot motor.
The sleek ergonomic design of the Oster Fast Feed Adjustable Pivot Motor Hair Clipper makes the unit feel completely natural in your hand; and the lightweight housing unit makes it easy to handle and incredibly easy to use. Designed with a super strong Cryogen-x blade, the unit is extremely sharp, and the handy, adjustable blade lever allows you to change settings easily on the fly, making the clipper very versatile.
The package comes complete with four guide combs, blending ¼ inch, 3/8 inch and ½ inch lengths; and the 8-foot power cord allows for very easy maneuverability.
- Quiet. The Oster Fast Feed Adjustable Pivot Motor Hair Clipper has a whisper quiet motor—so quiet you may even forget it’s on.
- No need to change blades. The durable Cryogen-x blade on this hair clipper is so tough and durable it is the first and last blade you will ever need.
- Effective. The Oster Fast Feed Adjustable Pivot Motor Hair Clipper is effective on any hair type and length, both wet and dry.
- No carrying case. Although the Oster Fast Feed Adjustable Pivot Motor Hair Clipper is a very high-quality product, it does not come with a carrying case or a stand.
- Only one year warranty. With only a one-year warranty, one has to wonder how much confidence the Oster Corporation has in this product.
Wahl Color Pro Complete Hair Cutting Kit
One of the best barber-quality hair clippers for the money, the Wahl Color Pro Complete Hair Cutting Kit is a great buy for the budget conscious person who also expects high quality.
Extremely versatile, the hair clipper can also be used to trim mustaches and beards; and the self-sharpening high-carbon steel blades are precision-ground and very durable. Blades made from this material are known to be stronger and tougher than regular steel blades, and to keep them working in prime order you merely have to oil them regularly. The Wahl Color Pro Complete Hair Cutting Kit comes with a six foot power cord, giving you more than enough flexibility and maneuverability to handle any job.
- Color-coded combs. The color-coded combs on the Wahl Color Pro Complete Hair Cutting Kit make it easy to find the perfect attachment for just the right hair length.
- Versatile. The hair clipper can also be used to keep mustaches and beards looking great, and when used without the attachments it is perfect for a little “manscaping.”
- Carbon-steel blades. The self-sharpening carbon-steel blades that come with the Wahl Color Pro Complete Hair Cutting Kit make the product very durable indeed.
- No battery. The Wahl Color Pro Complete Hair Cutting Kit does come with a six-foot power cord, but the battery for the unit will need to be purchased separately.
- May overheat. When used for a long period of time continuously, users have reported issues with the hair clipper overheating, which automatically shuts the unit off.
Panasonic ER1512 Professional Hair Clipper
Much more compact than some of the other products on our list, the Panasonic ER1512 Professional Hair Clipper is very portable, but do not let its small size fool you; this clipper has more than enough power to handle all of your hair cutting needs.
The Panasonic ER1512 Professional Hair Clipper is billed as having the “world’s fastest blade speed,” boasting a 10,000 RPM linear motor for smooth and precise cuts time and time again. The motor is also very quiet, which is another nice selling point; and the clipper can get 70 minutes of run time from a single charge.
In addition to getting the Panasonic ER1512 Professional Hair Clipper, users will also receive a lot of accessories in the box, including the aforementioned plastic attachment, a charging stand, six combs for precision cutting, an electric power cord—for when uninterrupted use is a must—a small vial of blade oil to keep the blades sharp, and a cleaning brush, which makes the unit extremely easy to clean and maintain.
- Ergonomic. The slim, comfortable, lightweight design of the Panasonic ER1512 Professional Hair Clipper makes it feel very natural in the hand.
- Cordless option. The cordless option makes this hair clipper very maneuverable and portable.
- Easy to clean. The blades on the Panasonic ER1512 Professional Hair Clipper are extremely easy to clean using the included cleaning brush.
- Short battery life. With only 70 minutes of run time on a single charge, the battery can start to wane in the middle of a haircut, slowing the blade down and making it harder for the blades to cut the hair.
- Overheats. As with the previous product, users have reported some overheating issues with the Panasonic ER1512 Professional Hair Clipper.
Hair Clippers Buying Guide
When shopping for hair clippers, there are several factors you should consider—factors other than price. Sure, there are some very cheap hair clippers on the market today, but we assure you these are usually far from being “barber quality.” To ensure you get a high-quality hair clipper for use at home, try to consider all of the following factors before ultimately making a purchase.
There are two basic ways that power is supplied to hair clippers: via a power cord (plugged into a standard wall socket) and via a rechargeable battery. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Battery operated hair clippers are much more maneuverable, but they tend to lack the power of those that are powered electrically from a power cord.
Electric hair clippers will give you uninterrupted use, while battery powered clippers may lose their charge midway through and begin to lose power. For the best of both worlds, we recommend you select a hair clipper that can be powered both electrically and via a rechargeable battery. This way, you will have the power you need for tough jobs, and the maneuverability you need for trimming things like mustaches and beards.
Be sure to choose a high-quality hair clipper with strong, self-sharpening blades. Many of the blades in the top hair clippers of today are made from durable carbon steel, which not only allows the clipper to cut through any length and type of hair with ease, but also enables the blade to self-sharpen as you use the unit.
Most hair clippers will come with at least a few combs for cutting and styling your hair. We recommend you look for a hair clipper that comes with as many combs as your budget can afford, giving you the option to change hair styles if you so choose. For even better results, you may want to choose a hair clipper with a color-coded comb system, which makes it easy to find just the right attachment for any type of job.
A high-tech, barber quality hair clipper should have a little heft to it, but not so much that it becomes uncomfortable to use after several minutes. Today there have been many technological advancements in clipper technology, with manufacturers packing powerful motors into clippers with very lightweight and ergonomic designs.
Easy to Clean
When hair, dirt and grime get caught in the blades or the motor of a hair clipper these substances can quickly do a lot of damage. For this reason, we recommend choosing a hair clipper that receives high marks for ease of cleaning.
If you are going to spend money on a barber quality hair clipper you might as well select one that comes with a few accessories and extras, such as an extra battery, charging stand, carrying case, various combs, oil—for keeping the blades sharp—a cleaning brush and more.