Finding the perfect can opener for those who have weaker grips or joint pain is tough. You want to ensure that the can opener fits in with your décor, or can be easily hidden in a drawer or cabinet with ease, provides hands-free or easy opening with the touch of a button or lever, and has a strong and sturdy base to keep you and your loved ones safe.
We know that you want the best bang for your buck, as well as a can opener that does it all, so we’ve compiled a list of the 10 best can openers for the elderly.
- Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Electric Can Opener (76607)
- Kitchen Mama Electric Can Opener
- Cuisinart Deluxe Electric Can Opener- Long-lasting Machine
- Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Can Opener (76606ZA) – Matches the Rest of your Kitchen Decor
- BangRui Smooth Soft Edge Electric Can Opener- Compact Design
- Sokos Smooth Edge Can Opener- Easily Fits in Your Drawer
- West Bend Electric Can Opener-Best for Tall Cans
- Hamilton Beach Classic Chrome Can Opener- Budget Friendly
- Black & Decker Lids Off Jar Opener- Dual Duty Machine
- Black & Decker Gizmo Can Opener-Best Hands-free Can Opener
- Sokos Smooth Edge Counter Top Electric Can Opener- Best for Those with Arthritis
- Sokos Automatic Can Opener- Restaurant Quality at a Fraction of the Price
Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Electric Can Opener (76607)
Avoid getting cut off sharp can edges with the Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Electric Can Opener. It has side-cut technology giving you smooth, touchable edges. It also comes with mini scissors to use for cutting open small boxes and bags.
- Easy Touch Lever. This can opener works best for those who have weak grip like people with tendonitis or for the elderly as it can open a can in just one press with its easy touch lever.
- Modern Design. It has a polished black and chrome design that will look good in any countertop.
- Not hands-free. The lever needs to be depressed until the lid has been removed. It is not a hands-free can opener.
Kitchen Mama Electric Can Opener
This hands-free can opener can open your canned goods with just a press of a button. The can opener has an easy to use interface, just one button to operate and easy to clean too.
- Side-cut blade. Kitchen Mama Electric Can Opener cuts from the side of the can so it leaves smooth edges, making it safe to lift the lid with your bare hands.
- Portable. It is battery operated so you can take it with you anywhere, no need for a power source.
- Short battery life. Some reviewers feel like the battery life is shorter than it should be considering that it uses 4 AA batteries.
Cuisinart Deluxe Electric Can Opener- Long-lasting Machine
The Cuisinart Deluxe Electric Can Opener has a precision power cut blade to get through even the toughest of cans. With a press and release lever, the Cuisinart Deluxe Electric Can Opener is perfect for easily opening any standard-size can. The extra-wide base prevents slipping and sliding, or tipping, and has an automatic stop function to keep you and your loved ones safe.
- Sturdy base prevents tipping
- Press and release lever
- Magnetic lid holder
- Removable activation lever
- Automatic shut off
- You have to hold the hand while it is opening the can
- Can be too tall for some people to use easily
Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Can Opener (76606ZA) – Matches the Rest of your Kitchen Decor
If you’re looking for effortless operation that won’t aggravate your swollen joints, the Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Can Opener is the perfect can opener for you! The can opener will easily open all standard sized cans and cans with pop top lids, and isn’t an eyesore on your counter. Not only does the Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Can Opener easily open all of your cans, Hamilton Beach also offers frustration-free packaging so that anyone can open without struggling!
- Ergonomic design
- Effortless operation
- Side-cutting system removes the top and leaves a smooth edge
- Lever-operated so no grip is needed
- Splash-free design
- Handle does not lock when opened
- Does not lift top off after it is cut
BangRui Smooth Soft Edge Electric Can Opener- Compact Design
The BangRui Smooth Soft Edge Electric Can Opener is a one-button touch tin opener available in three stylish colors to make the can opener easily distinguishable in a drawer. The small, ergonomic design fits easily in the tightest of spaces, while the strong motor opens the can very fast (and passes a culinary CE certificate.
- Ergonomic design fits in tight places
- Hands free operation; great for those with arthritis to open the cans
- The strong motor opens cans in seconds
- Soft-edge leaves your hands cut free
- One button start tin opener
- Requires four batteries that are not included
- Does not have automatic shutoff
Sokos Smooth Edge Can Opener- Easily Fits in Your Drawer
If you’re looking for a can opener that leaves no sharp edges, and requires absolutely no manual labor, then the Sokos Smooth Edge Can Opener is the perfect buy for you. Not only does it self-adhere to every can for ease of use, the Sokos Smooth Edge also creates an easily resalable lid with a smooth edge that helps keep your food covered while you’re preparing a meal!
- No sharp edges
- Self-adheres to all sized jars
- Automatically opens the can at the touch of a button
- Stylish, ergonomic design that matches most kitchen décor
- Easily fits in a drawer or cabinet while taking up little room
- Magnetic tab can become loose
- Is louder than other models
West Bend Electric Can Opener-Best for Tall Cans
The West Bend Electric Can Opener is a 70-watt counter-top can opener that accommodates even the tallest of cans. With build-in cord storage, this can opener doesn’t leave clutter on your counter, while the extras include a knife sharpener and bottle opener in the back of the unit to save even more counter space.
- Built-in cord storage
- Extras built-in the back (knife sharpener and bottle opener)
- Automatic shutoff function
- Dishwasher safe
- Accommodates even the tallest of cans
- Has plastic components
- Does not have smooth edge capabilities
Hamilton Beach Classic Chrome Can Opener- Budget Friendly
The Hamilton Beach Classic Chrome Can Opener is heavy enough that it won’t topple over during use. The removable, washable cutting unit takes the work out of cleaning. The patented SureCut technology opens the can the first time, saving you time, and money.
- Removable, washable cutting unit
- SureCut patented technology
- Knife technology
- Built-in cord storage
- Automatic shut off
- Cannot handle large cans
- Very noisy machine
Black & Decker Lids Off Jar Opener- Dual Duty Machine
The Black & Decker Lids Off Jar Opener is a dual machine that both helps unscrew even the trickiest of jars and also opens cans with ease. Built to last, the Black & Decker Lids Off Jar Opener will open virtually any size jar or can, and collapses to fit in the tightest of cabinets.
- Sleek design compliments any kitchen
- Easy to store
- Opens virtually any can or jar
- Perfect for those who have wrist or joint pain
- Sturdy and durable
- Cord is not as long as other models
- Does not open small neck bottles or cans
Black & Decker Gizmo Can Opener-Best Hands-free Can Opener
The Black & Decker Gizmo Can Opener is a cordless, hands-free electric can opener with a long-lasting battery. The auto shut-off keeps you and your loved ones safe, while the hands-free option is perfect for those who are plagued with arthritis or joint pain, or who cannot grip a can or jar. The unit is dishwasher-safe, and a the power pierce blade is removable and easily cleaned.
- Lid release with easy, safe disposal into a waste basket
- Dishwasher safe
- Needs to be charged
- Smaller cans are a bit harder to get started
Sokos Smooth Edge Counter Top Electric Can Opener- Best for Those with Arthritis
The Sokos Smooth Edge Counter Top Electric Can Opener is the best can opener for those who are struggling to open cans due to weakness in their hands, wrists, or arms. Not only does the Sokos Smooth Edge Counter Top Can Opener open cans with just the touch of a button, it is also a multi-function kitchen too that features a manual knife sharpener, bottle opener, and a pop top opener for those pesky cans of tuna and pet food!
- Easy to use
- No sharp edges to deal with
- Magnetic lid holder
- Push-in cord storage
- Manual knife sharpener, bottle opener, and pop top opener
- Sturdy, stable design
- Cutting assembly can become loose if not screwed back in properly after washing
- If not held at the correct angle, lid can fall back into the can
Sokos Automatic Can Opener- Restaurant Quality at a Fraction of the Price
If you’re looking for restaurant quality in your kitchen at an affordable price, check out the Sokos Automatic Can Opener. The Sokos self-adheres to cans of all sizes, and opens them within seconds at the push of a button. The cutting assembly creates no sharp edges, and is perfect for those who are suffering from arthritis or joint/wrist pain.
- Self-adheres to all cans
- Opens cans at the push of a button
- Batteries are long lasting
- Comes apart for easy cleaning
- No sharp edges
- Lid cutting button can take a little pressure to finish cutting
- Made of light plastic
With tons of options out there, we know it’s difficult to choose the best can opener for the elderly, or those who are plagued with arthritis, joint pain, or wrist inflammation, so we’ve narrowed the list down. Here are our favorites.
- The Sokos Smooth Edge Counter Top Electric Can Opener is rated the best counter-top machine for those with arthritis, or those who have weakened grip in their hands. The tall, counter-top machine is sturdy, and features a multi-function kitchen too that features a manual knife sharpener, bottle opener, and a pop top opener.
- The Cuisinart Deluxe Electric Can Opener is a long-lasting and durable can opener that is perfect for opening any standard sized can. The sturdy base is wide to prevent tipping and slipping on your counter or butcher block.
- The Sokos Smooth Edge Can Opener is a compact can opener that fits in all drawers and tight spaces. The Smooth Edge technology ensures that no sharp edges slice you or your loved ones.
No matter which can opener you choose, open cans without hurting your wrists, joints, or hands!