Whether you’re an experienced seamstress or just picking up the hobby, there are two machines that stand above the rest: The Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW and the Brother CS6000i. The Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW is a great machine for designers, or those who are looking to pick up the hobby, and the Brother CS6000i is a fantastic machine for those who are just starting out, but may not be the best choice for very experienced seamstress.
We know the decision is tough, with all of the possible options so we’ve outlined the most important features available on sewing machines today, and broken down what they mean, and how they function on your machine. When thinking about purchasing a sewing machine, we recommend thinking long and hard about what you’ll be trying to accomplish with the machine. Consider portability, ease of use, built-in stitches, sewing speed, the ability to sew through multiple layers, and possible features and attachments when you’re comparing machines.
To save you time, frustration, and your sanity, we’ve put both Brothers side-by-side for an in-depth comparison to help you choose the perfect sewing machine for all of your needs.
Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW– Best Choice For the Novice, the Designer, or the Hobbyist
The Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW Electric Sewing Machine is a limited-edition model that can handle projects of all weights, shapes, and sizes. Perfect for both the beginner or the expert seamstress, the Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW is easy to carry from place to place, and is an ideal machine to carry to sewing classes, or just to move from one room to another without breaking your back.
The Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW suits all designers of all skill levels. Create a new skirt, sew yourself a new set of curtains, and more with the Brother Project Runway. Both for light to heavy sewing projects, the Brother Project Runway can handle anywhere from two to twelve layers with ease. Sturdy enough for constant use, the Brother Project Runway is a must-have machine for both new sewists and those who have been sewing their whole lives.
It has a maximum sewing speed of 850 stitches per minute, seven different feed dogs, a 7mm stitch width, and a 5mm stitch length. All seven different feed dogs are included: the buttonhole foot, zigzag foot, zipper foot, overcasting foot, button sewing foot, blind stitch foot, and monogramming foot. With five one-step buttonhole styles, the Brother Project Runway helps you create the best buttonhole for every project you’re working on.
It is also a great machine for those who have trouble seeing their project. The super bright LED-lit workspace ensures that you can see each and every stitch that you’re working on.
Features of the Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW:
- Automatic needle threader
- The automatic needle threader is a convenient feature that works for both beginners and master sewists. This feature automatically feeds the thread through the eye of the needle, saving you time and frustration.
- LCD display screen with stitch selector
- The LCD display screen allows for users to easily change their stitch preference without fiddling with knobs and levers, and makes switching from one complicated stitch to the next just one click away.
- Quick-set top bobbin
- The quick-set top bobbin, also known as the quick-set drop in bobbin allows seamstresses to change the bobbin with ease. All you have to do is drop it in, pull the thread through, and get to sewing!
- For beginners, the bobbin is a small plastic or metal wheel that sits under the needle plate of the sewing machine. The thread on the bobbin is picked up by the needle to form the bottom of a seam.
- 50 built-in stitches
- Built-in stitches are all of the sewing stitches pre-loaded into the sewing machine. Straight-stitch and zig-zag stitches are not considered to be specialty stitches, while specialty stitches are generally decorative stitches on the sewing machine, such as scalloped and arrowhead stitches. Functional stitches, such as blind-hemming or stretch stitches are used to increase the quality of a project.
- Stitch chart
- A stitch chart features all of the built-in stitches on a sewing machine.
- LED lit work area
- Independent bobbin winding motor
- An independent bobbin winding motor allows you to rethread your bobbin with ease, by putting both the bobbin and the thread on the winder, and filling your bobbin at the touch of a button.
- When sewing multiple heavy layers, the machine can jam, avoid this by trying to limit the number of heavy layers you are sewing at one time
- Complicated threading path can take practice to master
- Instructions can be hard to understand for beginners, avoid this by looking at videos online
Brother CS6000i – Best model for beginners, the budding hobbyist, or the home decorator
The Brother CS6000i Electric Sewing Machine is an ideal machine for those who are just learning the craft of sewing, but plan to continue elevating their skill level. Both durable and portable, the Brother CS6000i stands the test of time, creating perfect stitches from the first to the last. The CS6000i is designed to be easy-to-use for beginners, featuring simple instructions and adjustable sewing controls.
Both user-friendly and portable, the CS6000i has dual LED lighting, and has a sewing machine of 850 stitches per minute. With six feed dogs, and seven one-step buttonhole styles, the CS6000i has a stitch width of 7mm and a stitch length of 5mm. Not only does the CS6000i have a start and stop button to keep you and your loved ones’ safe, there is also a speed control function, needle position key with up and down functions, a drop feed, and free motion quilting foot. The six feed dogs included are: the buttonhole foot, overcasting foot, monogramming foot, zigzag foot, blind stich foot, button fitting foot. Optional feet include: the walking foot and spring action quilting foot.
The Brother CS6000i can be used for both sewing and quilting with the free arm and oversized table features. The CS6000i accommodates larger, many layered projects, and can be used for both beginner and master sewists and quilters.
Features of the Brother CS6000i:
- Automatic needle threader
- 60 built-in stitches
- Adjustable sewing speed controls
- Adjustable sewing speed controls allow you to control the speed at which you are sewing (with 850 stitches per minute being the fastest you can sew), but also can cause many mistakes. Beginners should not adjust their sewing speeds until they are comfortable sewing.
- LCD display stitch selector
- The LCD stitch selector allows you to choose your stitch, and see the stitch you’ve chosen on the convenient LCD display screen.
- Detachable oversized table
- The oversized table allows for sewists to accommodate larger projects, and gives you the room you need to maneuver your project while you work. This is a perfect feature for beginners who might need more room to accommodate their work areas.
- Drop-in bobbin
- LED lit work area
- Free arm
- The free arm is an area under the machine that extends to allow a seamstress to work with curved areas, such as collars and scalloped hems.
- This feature is perfect for sewing sleeves, pant legs on children’s clothing, and other smaller cylindrical items.
- The machine can jam and skip stitches on projects with heavy fabric or multiple layers, but this can be avoided by using lighter-weighted fabrics and sticking to seven layers or less when creating projects
- The thread can become tangled if the drop-in-bobbin becomes loose, but this can be avoided by always checking that the bobbin is properly inserted and properly tightened
- Stitches can become loose and unevenly stitched if the thread tension is loosened too much, but this can be avoided by properly checking thread tension before starting large projects
When it comes to picking the perfect sewing machine, it can be overwhelming. There are tons of features to consider, and optional accessories to buy. We know how hard that decision can be, so we picked our favorite sewing machine: The Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW.
The Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW isn’t just for designers, it’s also for beginners who want to break into the world of sewing. Although the CS5055PRW isn’t the best machine for quilting, the machine is perfect for denim and heavy fabrics like canvas to make everything from a pair of jeans to an outdoor tent or pillows. The Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW is the perfect machine for those who are looking to create their own clothes, a seamstress who wants their machine to stand the test of time, or a beginner starting out. The Project Runway allows you to create runway ready fashions on the go. The Brother Project Runway is both ultra-light and portable, so whether you’re heading to class to learn how to sew, running to work to create amazing attire, or just carrying your machine from the kitchen to the living room, this machine will fit all of your needs.
Whether you choose the Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW or the Brother CS6000i, we’re sure that the Brother machines will help you create every design you could possibly imagine! Sit down, thread up, and get to sewing!