We’ve all been there. You wake up and are instantly in pain. Whether it’s a constant issue, or a once in a while occurrence, back pain can be alleviated with a great mattress. Some of the best mattresses for sciatic nerve pain are memory foam, motion isolated, cooling, and firm.
- What is sciatic nerve pain?
- What causes sciatic nerve pain?
- How can it be treated?
- Sleep Innovations Shiloh- Best Memory Foam Mattress
- Eco Terra- Best Firm Mattress
- Perfect Cloud- Best Gel-layered Mattress
- DreamFoam Ultimate- Best Latex Mattress
- Dynasty Mattress- Best Versatile Mattress
- Beautyrest Recharge- Best Pillow Top Mattress
- Sleep Resort Classic- Best Cooling Mattress
- Serta Perfect Sleeper- Best Motion Isolation Mattress
- Sealy Posturepedic Cobalt- Best High-Profile Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Muse Memory Foam Mattress- Best Mattress for Couples
- Final Verdict:
What is sciatic nerve pain?
There are three different types of sciatic nerve pain: sciatica from the L4 nerve root, sciatica from the L5 nerve root, and sciatica from the S1 nerve root. Sciatica from the L4 nerve root is in the medial to lower back, and is characterized by an inability to perform the heel walk. Sciatica from the L5 nerve root is in the lower back, and may include weakness to the big toes and ankle. Sciatica from the S1 nerve root is found at the base of the spine, and patients may have pain or numbness to the outside of the foot, and inability to walk on tiptoe.
What causes sciatic nerve pain?
There are many conditions that can lead to sciatica, from herniated discs to stenosis and arthritis.
How can it be treated?
Sciatica can be treated with both heat and ice compresses and pain medications. The main goal when treating sciatic nerve pain is to relieve pressure to the compressed nerve root. This begins with a good night’s sleep. We’ve compiled a list to help you get there. Read below for the best mattresses for sciatic nerve pain.
Sleep Innovations Shiloh- Best Memory Foam Mattress
The Sleep Innovations Shiloh is the best memory foam mattress to help relieve sciatic nerve pain. Not only is the memory foam manufactured in the United States of America, with an environmentally friendly manufacturing process, the Sleep Innovations Shiloh is also dust mite resistant, and is naturally antimicrobial.
- Fire retardant barrier
- Resistant to dust mites
- Made in the USA
- Features smooth or quilted cover
- Very firm mattress may not be pleasant for all
- Awkward and large to handle when fully expanded
Eco Terra- Best Firm Mattress
The Eco Terra Mattress will put you to sleep—and keep you there! The fabric-encased coils help to diminish motion from a partner moving about, and is a great alternative to the memory foam mattress. Made with 100 percent natural latex, the Eco Terra Mattress has no fillers, additives, and no off-gassing for to keep your back at ease, as well as your conscious!
- Available in medium and medium-firm styles
- Minimized motion disturbance
- No fills, additives, or off-gassing
- Encased-coils offer pressure point relief
- Can be too firm for those who sleep on their side
- Slight chemical smell upon opening, but dissipates within a few hours
Perfect Cloud- Best Gel-layered Mattress
For extreme luxury and a two-inch layer of gel-pro memory foam, the Perfect Cloud leaves you feeling weightless! With 12 inches of comfort, the Perfect Cloud helps eliminate painful pressure points and lower back pain. If you’re a light sleeper, the Perfect Cloud absorbs motion from partners (or pets!) joining you in the bed.
- Gel-pro memory foam layer
- Helps regulate overall sleep temperature
- Weightless sleep experience
- Certipur certified
- Features knit cover
- The mattress is very heavy
- Mattress needs to be aired out before use
DreamFoam Ultimate- Best Latex Mattress
Available in sizes twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, and California king, the DreamFoam Ultimate mattress fits everyone’s needs. Float off to dreamland on thirteen inches of memory foam—three of which are gel memory foam! The DreamFoam helps minimize pressure points, and helps you quit tossing and turning.
- Made in USA
- Able to sink deep into this mattress
- Available in all sizes to fit all needs
- Both dense and gel memory foam
- Great for both back and side sleeping
- Not as plush as advertised
- Retains heat
Dynasty Mattress- Best Versatile Mattress
The Dynasty Mattress cools your nightmares with sleep cool technology foam! Never sweat again with the thick Dynasty Mattress, which features a luxurious white cover barrier and four thick layers of memory foam! Available in twin, twin xl, full, queen, queen RV, king, California King, and RV short king, the Dynasty Mattress goes wherever you do!
- Certipur certified
- Available in all sizes for versatility
- Sleep Cool Technology Foam
- Reduces and isolates motion
- Minimizes pressure points
- Can be too firm for some sleepers
- Extremely heavy and difficult to move after unrolling
Beautyrest Recharge- Best Pillow Top Mattress
The BeautyRest Recharge adds pep back to your step with pocketed coil technology to give you back support and isolated motion separation. The cool plus fiber ensures that you’re sleeping comfortably, and the pillow top mattress adds a plush layer to keep you relaxed and peacefully floating off to dreamland!
- Pillow top layer
- Air-cool gel memory foam
- Surface cool plus fiber
- Conforming back support
- The perfect combination of plush and firm
- More expensive than other models
- Very heavy and cumbersome to move once opened
Sleep Resort Classic- Best Cooling Mattress
The Sleep Resort Classic boasts a soft fabric cover, breathable plush materials, and cooling comfort technology. Relieve pressure points and stop tossing and turning while the Sleep Resort Classic targets sore shoulders, hips, and lower back pain! Feel recharged and ready to take on the day—pain free!
- No coils or latex
- High density support base
- Cooling comfort memory foam
- Very firm mattress may be uncomfortable until it is worn in
- Mattress may be too long, causing you to cut the foam to fit your box spring
Serta Perfect Sleeper- Best Motion Isolation Mattress
Never disturb your partner again with the Serta Perfect Sleeper! Not only does the pocketed coil technology help reduce your tossing and turning, the motion isolated, cool action memory foam encourages proper back support to relieve your pain.
- Cool action gel memory foam
- Motion isolation technology ensures you sleep soundly
- Pocketed coil technology
- Helps reduce tossing and turning
- Pillow top layer for maximum comfort
- Not great for those over 200 lbs. as pillow top mattress can begin to sink
- Taller than many other models
Sealy Posturepedic Cobalt- Best High-Profile Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
The Sealy Posturepedic Cobalt is a great mattress for those who sleep on their back or stomach. The memory foam and gel combination reduces motion transfer between partners while relieving stress and pain in the back, neck and shoulders.
- Cool technology helps regulate sleep temperature
- Gel and foam reduce motion transfer
- Half foam and half springs for the best of both worlds
- Durable and sturdy and lasts for years
- Features a cover with breathable side panels for optimum comfort
- Can be hard to maneuver up winding staircases
- Can be too firm for side sleepers
Muse Memory Foam Mattress- Best Mattress for Couples
The Muse Memory Foam Mattress is the textbook mattress for couples, or families. The three layers of foam provide the perfect amount of comfort and support to relieve back and neck pain while keeping you cool and comfortable. The Muse comes in three styles for optimum comfort; whether you prefer a soft, medium, or firm sleeping experience, the Muse has got you covered!
- Gel and memory foam layers
- Cool technology for optimum comfort
- Three styles: soft, medium, and firm
- Motion isolation to keep you in dreamland while your partner leaves the bed
- Ventilated foam and Cold Wire Cover
- Can be heavy and cumbersome to move
- Chemical smell may be present upon opening
If you’re suffering from sciatic nerve pain, one of the easiest ways to relieve some tension is to purchase a new mattress engineered to help you have a better night’s sleep. If you’re having trouble choosing the best mattress, we’ve narrowed down our picks to help you out!
- The Sleep Innovations Shiloh is the best mattress for those who suffer from sciatic nerve pain. The antimicrobial, fire retardant mattress keeps you safe while relieving pressure from your joints and lower back.
- The Sleep Resort Classic is perfect for those who want to drift off and wake up tension and pain free!keeps you cool even when you’re feeling hot! Help relieve your pressure points and stop tossing and turning so you get a good night’s sleep.
- The Dynasty Mattress has an dense support base to keep the tension off of your hips, joints, and lower back! This mattress is perfect for side sleepers, and comes in every bed size for maximum versatility.
No matter which mattress you choose, we’ve got you covered! So sleep in, or wake up early—but do it pain free!